Respected Contributor

Re: Had contact with friend from school

Maybe She was afraid your life might be more successful than hers.. Or you seemed happier than her. Something to think about. I mostly stay to myself, people just seem weird, and don't feel comfortable with things people have done to me.

Respected Contributor

Maybe her husband didn't like that she did this a they fought over it.

Esteemed Contributor

The friend has always been scatter-brained,  then it is entirely possible that she did genuinely forget.

I would give her another chance.

In any event, it does not matter one little bit what any of us here think or say, because in the end all that really matters is what the o/p thinks.

And if she is fine with it, then that is all that matters.

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak

There's s fine line sometimes between being nice and being a doormat. She was rude and inconsiderate, period. Either she changed her mind and didn't have the courtesy to cancel or she forgot  because the appointment was not important to her. You sound like a much nicer person than she. Stick with friendly messages but forget the lunch dates.

Esteemed Contributor

I would give her one more chance and see what happens....

I think you will be able to tell if she really wants to meet up.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

How does one forget they made a date with an old friend?   If a man stood me up, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I would not make another date with him.  I would be hurt and disappointed that my old friend did that and wouldn't put myself in a position for her to do it again. 

@Lindsays Grandma please see my last post , this could very well be a possibility. The OP will be trying again, let's give her friend a chance. 

1. Your last post indicated perhaps we don't know the whole story...one can respond to what the poster wrote, that is what I responded to. Friend is an air head just like she always was.  Nothing to guess about.

2. The majority  of the posters agreed they would not give the old friend another chance.

3.  Please do not take the following as anything other than what you see...I actually am laughing at your response to what I wrote because with all the posters saying almost verbatim to what I said, why did you zero in on me about giving her friend a chance? 

4. Seriously, I am not hurt or angry, I happen to enjoy most of your posts and I hope you and anyone else reading this will not read anything into this other than what is written. Woman Happy Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Similar story.  I recently ran into a friend's daughter in the grocery store.  Didn't realize her daughter lived here but she lives about 25 miles from here.  I'd not seen her mother for 40 years and she gave me the info to contact her.  

I made contact and her answer was lots of exclamation points and how it would be so great to meet for lunch and catch up.  Not once, but twice in the email she said I just got in - I'll try to call tonight or tomorrow, give me your number.  That was 5 months ago, still waiting (not really)!  

A mutual friend asked why I'm surprised - she said that as time goes on we seem to remember the good and forget the bad about friendships - she said don't u remember she used to do this kind of stuff all the time.  I told her I figured it was tougher back in the days when she had 2 small children, had gotten divorced, etc.  I have no problem if she'd said it was great hearing from me and left it at that.  SHe could have called and never agreed to meet but the flowery reply with hearts and exclamation points - it was over the top and her idea to meet.  Oh well.

Honored Contributor

I could never judge without walking a mile in the other person’s moccasins, as the old cliche goes.

Our last two years have been unrelieved chaos. I HAVE missed appointments and neglected people whom I consider special, so I just couldn’t be hard nosed about someone else unless I knew his or her life was uninterrupted peace and tranquility.

I’ve been embarrassed by my lapses, but I always try to make them up to anyone I’ve offended.

Partial credit that she acknowledged that she’d forgotten, but a firm suggestion to write down the appointment the next time.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe she forgot. That she contacted the OP after so long indicates a desire to make changes in her life, return to a happier time. I believe she very much wanted to meet but just couldn't make herself go. I had a sister in law who was like that, the more important the occasion the more likely she would get something similar to stage fright.

Honored Contributor

So much time passes in life ,people grow,change,i doubt you would have much ,or anything in common .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.