Valued Contributor

Had a little scare last night

It was really nice last evening, so I decided to go out on my deck for a bit. (It was dark out). I opened my back door and saw a guy at my neighbors behind me. Thought it was the homeowner but couldn't tell for sure. He walked in front of his daughters car so I couldn't see what he was doing or looking at and I saw him lean down. Then, when he got up he lost his balance and stumbled all the way across his driveway and back again. Then, he made a wide circle and went back and forth again. He ended up on the far side of his driveway where they have a small piece of privacy fence with flowers and vines growing on it. Then he fell into the bushes and didn't move! (They have a motion detector light so it went off & on a few times, and each time the light came back on he was still motionless on the ground) Called 9-1-1 and told the dispatcher I was afraid to go over in case it wasn't my neighbor and someone drunk or high on something since it was dark and couldn't say for sure. Cops came a few minutes later, and by that time the guy  had gotten up and walked into the house, so I figured that it was the neighbor. Cop asked if I thought he was intoxicated and I said I couldn't say for sure but knew he is in his 70's so wanted to make sure he wasn't having some medical issues. It ended up that he was fine, but sure scared me! Don't know for certain since I haven't talked with them, but I bet he knocked himself out for a minute or so. Hope I didn't embarass him.

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Had a little scare last night

You did the right thing.He could have been having a heart attack or stroke.

Honored Contributor

He should be thankful that you had reason for concern and didn't ignore it. 

Honored Contributor

I agree With @dex, you did the right thing.

He could have been having a medical emergency.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Embarrass him????   You did the right thing, you should be proud of yourself.  He could havve been having a heart attack or a stroke or anyone of a number of medical emergencies.  You also did the right thing by not going over there.  

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak:  I applaud you for doing the right thing. Smiley Very Happy Unfortunately, we hear far too many cases where bystanders will simply stand by and do nothing when they see someone in trouble.

Respected Contributor

An intense vertigo attack also can cause one to stumble, weave, stagger, and fall. @cookinfreak You made the right decision. If his problems were self induced, that’s on him. If medical, he should be glad someone called for help.

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@cookinfreak:  I applaud you for doing the right thing. Smiley Very Happy Unfortunately, we hear far too many cases where bystanders will simply stand by and do nothing when they see someone in trouble.

@Diva on The Q

A perfect example of what you said is the current case of the 13 y.o. girl whose parents were killed and she is missing.

Her neighbors now say that they heard gunshots 30 minutes before the Mom's 911 call, but they didn't call the police.

Sorry to go off topic, but it's a prime example of the point in your post.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

You did the right thing.  My friend's mother who is in her late 80's fell outside on her icy patio the wintertime and did not get up.

Her yard can be seen by a doctor's office nearby.  A patient saw her fall while looking out of the window and informed the doctor who went to check on her.  She fell and knocked herself out.  If that patient did nothing she could have frozen to death.  She wasn't wearing a coat and there was snow outside.

Thank you for being a good neighbor.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

Thank goodness that someone saw her fall and alerted someone, so glad she wasn't seriously injured!Heart