Respected Contributor

Re: Had This Discussion Today About Good Deed Doers

We choose from whom we want our reward. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I love to hear about good deeds.It reminds me that there still are kind and caring people in this world.I hear so much about the people who have committed crimes or have hatred in their hearts that I sometimes think there is more bad than good.

Respected Contributor

When a person does a good deed they do it because they wanted to.

It is something they did and it should remain with them and the deed.

If a person has something the share concerning some good thing they saw someone else do then that could be shared.

There is a difference between a me brag and a recognized kindness by another.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 

I would agree with this, but I might be guilty of not doing it.

I've mentioned more than once on this board that I found something cute to use in gift baskets I create for local animal rescue groups.

It never occurred to me that I was tooting my own horn.  However,  your post and the comments have made me stop stop and think.

And, that's never a bad thing Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@rms1954 

I've mentioned more than on this board that I found something cute to use in gift baskets I create for local animal rescue groups.

It never occurred to me that I was tooting my own horn.  However,  your post and the comments have made me stop stop and think.

No, I don't mean mentioning the type of thing you describe. That sounds like a lovely task you've taken upon yourself.   I mean where someone lays out the entire situation from beginning to end including expressions of feelings and really like embellishing the story ... almost as if it was created in that person's mind.  I know many people who go through life doing small things and grand things for others and never mention a word to any one.  They don't have to because that's not the reason they did it.  It was just out of the goodness of their heart and not to call attention to them for the act they did.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@rms1954 

I've mentioned more than once on this board that I found something cute to use in gift baskets I create for local animal rescue groups.

I've never thought you were boasting about a good deed @Witchy Woman .

I enjoy hearing about what you find for your gift baskets. Don't ever feel bad about posting about them!

Honored Contributor

I believe that the Bible says to keep your good deeds private (not that I am any kind of biblical scholar).

I think that's a fairly good bit of advice (I'm not going to go into the reward from the Father thing that follows it, because then it sounds like you should do a good deed to get a reward...)

Certainly, I think it sounds bragidocious to go into a long description of your good deed and, in turn, it sounds disingenuous to add that you are doing so with the hope that it inspires others.

But, good deeds are still good deeds, and it is fortunate for the recipients

Better than bad deeds, for sure.  

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@rms1954 

@Witchy Woman 

I don't think it sounds braggy to say that you found something cute to use in the gift baskets.

(And I think it's lovely that you do them!!!)

Honored Contributor

On a related issue aka OT, I wish charities would stop wasting donations on sending labels, note cards, stickers, and other gifts. I'd prefer thay have a gift shop that sells the t-shirts, stuffed animals...instead for those who want them.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

On a related issue aka OT, I wish charities would stop wasting donations on sending labels, note cards, stickers, and other gifts. I'd prefer thay have a gift shop that sells the t-shirts, stuffed animals...instead for those who want them.

@occasionalrain  I'm sure they get a mega-discount to have labels, etc. printed.

Some companies might even supply for free.

It might be cheaper than renting out a storefront, too. 

We do get labels from 2 organization that get our donations (is that a brag??  LOL) I guess as a thank you but it's been a long time since we've received unsolicited "gifts" from other organizations.

They have always been address labels if I remember correctly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh