Super Contributor

Re: Had This Discussion Today About Good Deed Doers

As long as you don't boast about it or pump yourself up then nothing wrong with mentioning it

If it can inspire someone else then it's a good thing

Respected Contributor

I agree with the saying 150%!

Good deeds are done for the sake of doing them, not so that one can post/boast/brag about what they've done for others. 

If someone else brings good deeds done by another to light, that's up to them. But unless it's on a resume or in a job interview, blowing your own horn is attention seeking and tacky. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

To excuse calling attention to one's good deed by claiming to inspire others is nonsense. No one who cares needs inspired and it's self important to suggest your bragging will inspire them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am more inspired by the stories of those who have RECEIVED these good deeds.  Seeing how it made them feel and how it made their day is a wonderful message.  Listening to someone "toot their horn" or even brag about people they know is self serving.  They are just trying to make themselves look good, not inspire anything.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I just prefer to keep those things private.  They often come off as boasting and bragging to me.  I think people like all the gushing about how wonderful they are when they talk about what they've done.  

It's a turn off to me...

Honored Contributor

Though on a large scale-public figure angle, it can generate

more money to the cause thru matching. 

Like Hurricane Harvey, JJ Watt’s donation generated a foundation

and many other large matches for a good cause. 

Super Contributor

I agree with the OP.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMG_1044.JPG

Honored Contributor

It isn't up to me to determine who is looking for attention.

I'm sure that there are people who lie about what they do just as I am sure there are good-hearted folks who mean no harm when they submit what they have done.

It doesn't matter to me if the post "inspires" others.  Either you have it in you to be charitable or you don't.  That is a non-issue.

I think people need to take a look at why they find it boasting or bragging or looking for attention.  Perhaps one is resentful of the very cause being supported.

Or perhaps their own lack of charity gets a little nudge when they read such posts.

I also find it almost amusing that those who are so adamant that they would never talk about their charity are actually boasting themselves-in other words, "I don't toot my own horn" is ..........tooting one's horn.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

There will always be those who like to toot their horn and others who will choose to keep their kind deeds private.