Respected Contributor

Re: HSN is At It Again With Their Tie-ins To Movies!

@Moonchilde wrote:

Normally when HSN does this, they reeeaaally strettcchhh the tie-in for at least half the products, which makes me WT*?? sometimes, especially with the costume jewelry pieces. 

As for the film - it’s been filmed and televised multiple times, most recently a few years ago with David Suchet as Poirot. Once you see it, or read it, you know what the twist is, so you’ll always know that, whatever version you may see in the future.

I like Kenneth Branagh very much, but I wish he’d stuck to directing this. His appearance (i.e. his makeup) as Poirot causes me to make an “ewww” face. I really wish it didn’t, but it does. 

For those who don’t know the story, they can enjoy the film on two levels. For those who do know, they can enjoy each new cast doing its thing with the story.

I wish they would have just cast David. Maybe he was busy, didn't want to do it anymore, or they didn't ask him. I've seen every single Poirot episode, all the TV movies, and no one else even comes close to his portrayal. Generally I'm not a snob when it comes to remakes and recasts, but for me, David IS Poirot. 

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

A lot of the glamor was the art, the architecture, the furniture, the clothes and jewelry. 

Good examples can be seen in the early Thin Man movies.  Art Deco.

Yes!  Remember the slinky evening dresses that had to be made out of silk because there wasn't another slinky fabric then, before bras I think.  

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Normally when HSN does this, they reeeaaally strettcchhh the tie-in for at least half the products, which makes me WT*?? sometimes, especially with the costume jewelry pieces. 

As for the film - it’s been filmed and televised multiple times, most recently a few years ago with David Suchet as Poirot. Once you see it, or read it, you know what the twist is, so you’ll always know that, whatever version you may see in the future.

I like Kenneth Branagh very much, but I wish he’d stuck to directing this. His appearance (i.e. his makeup) as Poirot causes me to make an “ewww” face. I really wish it didn’t, but it does. 

For those who don’t know the story, they can enjoy the film on two levels. For those who do know, they can enjoy each new cast doing its thing with the story.

I wish they would have just cast David. Maybe he was busy, didn't want to do it anymore, or they didn't ask him. I've seen every single Poirot episode, all the TV movies, and no one else even comes close to his portrayal. Generally I'm not a snob when it comes to remakes and recasts, but for me, David IS Poirot. 

@Cumbercookie13, I tend to agree with you.  I think DS’s success with Poirot is that he tends to down/underplay Poirot while every other actor has done him as an OTT caricature, very much larger than life, so that the focus is on them. And Branagh does love to take main roles when he produces and directs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@ms traditional,

Love Agatha Christie and the former movie with Lauren Bacal et al. was so good that doubt that this new version will be better. I 

plan to watch it and yesterday at HSN some Iris Mongolian lamb stoles and Heidi's Art Deco pieces were lovely🌻

Honored Contributor

@Desi wrote:

Is QVC any different with their Mally "Frozen" make-up set yesterday? 

@Desi  I was flipping through the channels and saw a glimpse of that presentation.

No matter what was said, or how the sales pitch was spun, it just wouldn't register in my brain. I cannot imagine buying makeup with a cartoon theme at my age of 57.

For that matter, I couldn't see myself buying it even if I was 16 for the same reason...SMH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

I usually check out the items online but I don’t think I’ve ever watched the presentations. (I rarely watch live presentations, just view videos online when shopping for something) I don’t really care about the tie-in to movies. I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a product connected to one of the movies, but I might have and not realized it.

I do want to see the movie though! 

Respected Contributor

They seem very silly to me...

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I have bought a few things through HSN here and there, but (and this is just me) I always find they just aren't up to QVC standards.

For instance, where QVC might sell tiny flashlights maybe 8 times out of 10 they'll include the batteries, HSN never would include them.  Just things like that.  True they are way more often (most of the time) free shipping...I just prefer QVC.

Anyway, I do flip back and forth (I have a short attention span and don't seem to retain information....and the older I get it shortens even more)...where was I?  Oh! See what I mean?  Ha!  

It's fun (and funny) to see how they manage to tie in some of the (most interesting and unique) items....while selling them...to the particular movie.  

Many of them are ummmm....interesting(?) items (like opera glasses).  Now they're neat but how often would you wear/use them?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@willdob3 I have bought a few things through HSN here and there, but (and this is just me) I always find they just aren't up to QVC standards.

For instance, where QVC might sell tiny flashlights maybe 8 times out of 10 they'll include the batteries, HSN never would include them.  Just things like that.  True they are way more often (most of the time) free shipping...I just prefer QVC.

Anyway, I do flip back and forth (I have a short attention span and don't seem to retain information....and the older I get it shortens even more)...where was I?  Oh! See what I mean?  Ha!  

It's fun (and funny) to see how they manage to tie in some of the (most interesting and unique) items....while selling them...to the particular movie.  

Many of them are ummmm....interesting(?) items (like opera glasses).  Now they're neat but how often would you wear/use them?

@Annabellethecat66

You can’t judge others by what you would buy or use.  I have a best friend since we were four years old who goes to the opera several times a month, and has for years.  Many people in SF attend regularly.

Honored Contributor

I watched a tiny bit just to see the item I ordered.  I thought it was fun and different

It certainly beat IM and that Shawnies fashion show, which was little more than a shopping spree for Shawn, and their stupid little imagine where you would see this garment game. IM kept saying money ,and every place they named, was someplace most of the people buying the clothing, could never afford to go

It was frankly boring, and embarassingly greedy. No sizes were mentioned (apart from Shawn instructing someone off camera, to buy it for her, in an x-small) nor laundering instructions or fabrication information

I watch for product information ,not to see a couple of people act like baffoons