Honored Contributor

Re: HSN did not honor the tax-free weekend!

@Lipstickdiva THAT would make such a HUGE difference!! My state sees it differently.

Agree with others: it should be the same across the board for EVERY state. Wonder how they deteremine these things.....

Super Contributor

I just paid off my HSN account.  I found the merchandise to be much lower quality than QVC items. Like the bargain basement for the Q.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde

I would file a complaint with your State Attorney General's Office.

If HSN is shipping to your state and CHARGING you tax, they should have honored the tax free week.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde

Was it mandatory?  How about for online retailers in other states?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I have a love/hate thing with this tax-free weekend event. In my state, it does NOT cover school supplies, Clothing must be under $100 and shoes must be under $60.

Now, I've heard and read and been told that this is timed for the back-to-school shopping crowd so....

*WHY are school supplies not covered in my state?

*Have you actually clothing shopped for kids? $100 is nothing when you have multiple children. So, you wind up doing multiple sale transactions at the counter and holding up people in order to make sure that every thing comes under $100. I've had to do 10 transactions because I was buying for 4 kids and myself. Now, multiply that by 10, 20, 30 OTHER people doing the same thing....yeah.

*Shoes. I don't buy growing kids shoes at Walmart. I don't buy shoes for sports at Walmart. One pair of basketball shoes (required to play on the team) is FAR more than $60. I can't remember the last time I bought a pair of shoes for any of my boys that cost under $60 (when they were toddlers?)

Considering the cost of items, (including school supplies), I think the allowed amount needs to increase to adjust for inflation. And I don't shop anywhere other than in state during this tax-free weekend; not worth the hassle.

It helps but boy, the amount of work involved when it COULD be so simple. 

@SahmIam

In our state it is that each clothing item has to be below the specified amount. You can ring all the clothing in one transaction, but each ITEM has to be below the $100 (for us here it is $75). 

Do they really limit it to that amount per transaction? That just makes more work for everyone, because if the number of transactions are unlimited, people are just going to stand there and make a lot of transactions. 

I guess whatever it takes to save the money, but why make it hard on especially the businesses and their employees.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  You are absolutely correct in all.  It's not hard to find clothing items under $75, and in Ohio they included school supplies under $20 per item.  I didn't realize it was so different from one state to another.  I can understand how difficult it might be for a retailer to keep up with all of it, but I did also order from QVC, and even Zulily, online over the weekend, and they did NOT charge the tax like HSN did.

And in Ohio, this is relatively new. I think this is the third year (yep, my kid had graduated high school before this started....go figure!) for us and the first year that they passed the law to make it 'permanent'. 

Honored Contributor

For those saying this should be across all states and the same, you have to understand this is a suspension of the STATE SALES TAX. That varies by state, and some states don't even have sales tax, or have/don't have taxes on different kinds of merchandise. 

If I remember correctly PA doesn't or didn't tax clothing anytime, and many people around here would go on yearly or semi yearly shopping trips to PA to stock up on clothing during big sale seasons, to save paying Ohio sales tax. 

But making this national isn't feasible, because it is based on states choosing to do it, and all states having different taxing rates and conditions. 

Honored Contributor

I got an email yesterday from HSN reminding me that my state is having a tax free week next week, so I would say they are certainly honoring the tax free weeks.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I got an email yesterday from HSN reminding me that my state is having a tax free week next week, so I would say they are certainly honoring the tax free weeks.

@Shelbelle  Are you in Florida, like HSN?  If not, then I'm really getting upset about what they did (or did not  do) in Ohio last weekend.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  Are you in Florida, like HSN?  If not, then I'm really getting upset about what they did (or did not  do) in Ohio last weekend.

I am in Maryland, our tax free week starts on Sunday.