Trusted Contributor

HSN Recall: Joy Mangano "My Little Steamer"

Just on my local NBC news, millions of these are being recalled, both the large and small model.  Contact HSN for more information.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HSN Recall: Joy Mangano "My Little Steamer"

Do you know why?  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick  @decaf   Here is the recall notice:

1. Release Date: May 26, 2021

Release Number: 21-138

HSN Recalls 5.4 Million Handheld Clothing Steamers Due to Serious Burn Hazard

Recall Summary

Name of Product: Joy/JM-branded My Little Steamer® and My Little Steamer® Go Mini

Hazard: The recalled clothing steamers can expel, spray, or leak hot water during use, posing a serious burn hazard to consumers.

Remedy: Refund

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled clothing steamers and contact HSN for information about how to receive a full refund for units purchased from January 2018 to December 2020, a partial refund for units purchased from January 2015 to December 2017, or a voucher for units purchased before January 2015.

Consumer Contact: HSN toll-free at 855-654-0942 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.SteamerRecallSettlement.com or www.hsn.com and click on Recall Information for more information.

Pictures available: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/HSN-Recalls-5-4-Million-Handheld-Clothing-Steamers-Due-to-Serious-...

Recall Details

Units: About 5.4 million  (In addition, 14,300 were distributed in Canada)

Description: This recall involves Joy/JM-branded My Little Steamer and My Little Steamer Go Mini handheld clothing steamers.  The steamers are handheld electrical appliances (120V, 60Hz, 900w), which use hot steam, emitted from a nozzle head to remove wrinkles from garments and other fabrics.  The steamers were sold in two sizes:  the standard (or deluxe) full-size My Little Steamer or the compact-size My Little Steamer Go Mini.  The steamers were sold individually or in combination sets in a variety of colors, including black, white, red, purple, and teal.  Recalled models have either a flat or triangular steamer head, and the name of the product is printed on the side of the unit. 

Incidents/Injuries: HSN has received 227 reports of hot water spraying or leaking from the steamers, including 106 reports of burn injuries.  These reports include eight reports of second- degree burns and six reports of third-degree burns.

Sold At: Online at HSN.com and on the HSN television network.  They were also sold in-stores nationwide, or online at various retailers, including Amazon, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart, and Lowes from January 2002 through December 2020 for between $10 and $30 individually and between $20 and $50 in combination sets.

Importer: Ingenious Designs LLC, of Ronkonkoma, N.Y. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of HSN since 1999)

Manufactured in: China

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I threw mine away years ago.

Honored Contributor

I had the large & small set of those at least 10 years ago.  They both burped steam and scalding water all over the place and burned me.  Trash.

Honored Contributor

I've known about them dribbling and spitting scalding water for at least 15 years and wondered how they got away with selling them.  However, I've learned how to handle the thing (very carefully) so will continue to use it.  There is nothing with which to replace it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Mine has always worked just fine. I'm going to keep using it despite the recall.

Respected Contributor

@decaf   Thank you for posting this.  

Mine was purchased from Macy's and I have had no trouble using mine all these years.  I will never go back to using an iron.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435  You're very welcome.  I actually caught just the tail end of the news segment but I thought maybe someone here would want to know. I have a very similar one I think I got at TJ Maxx(?) years ago and it spits too. No one is getting mine either!

Trusted Contributor

I have no idea how old mine is. I have the large one and the small one but I will be tossing them both out now. I hardly ever used them anyway.