Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,405
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@Illinois8 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

I pay my statement balance in full each month- and I was charged interest. What they're doing is unethical- most likely  illegal- and I filed a complaint with the FCC.I advised Comenity  when I spoke with them tonight and they were then more than happy to credit my interest charges! Woman Happy


@Ibby114  -  Forgot to ask you if you called and told HSN what happened?  Would be interested to hear their response, since I was told, "they know nothing about this."  If they truly don't know that this is happening, we need to inform them.


@Illinois8I needed to call hsn tonight- the website wouldn't allow me to change the payment method for a waitlist order. When the rep changed it to Discover, I explained why I was doing this. That I had changed my payment method throughout the site.... she was surprised we were being charged interest on flex pays not yet billed and tried to pass it off to Comentity. That this didn't sound 'right'....I advised her it was confirmed with Comenity and I was advising her since HSN cs is going to get a lot of calls. 

 

I should just cancel my waitlist order! - in fact I'm considering returning everything received the last 30 days.Mostly backup for skincare I use often.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 579
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

The mod on the HSN forums is denying that they are doing this, even though customers are posting that it's happening to them. I just went over and looked.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,405
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@garmer wrote:

The mod on the HSN forums is denying that they are doing this, even though customers are posting that it's happening to them. I just went over and looked.


And I just went over and replied!!! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,124
Registered: ‎07-05-2012

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

If I think about this from the financial institution's POV, it does make sense (I still think it's unethical and crazy though).  If HSN didn't offer flex pays, and someone wanted to make lower monthly payments on their item, they'd have to charge the full amount and pay it off in installments, accruing interest along the way*.  From the consumer's standpoint, the benefit of flex pay is that they can avoid the interest charge, but if HSN or HSN's affiliated bank is the one extending the credit, it makes total sense that they'd still want this interest (flex pays likely make up a large portion of their purchases, and most people are probably only using their HSN cards to purchase things at HSN).  So I suppose the solution is for the customer to only do flex pays on some other card...in which case why have HSN's card at all? 

 

*Even in this scenario, though, the interest charges go down every month, as they are only computed on the remaining balance and not the initial balance (...unless that's changed).  This new scenario is like how mortgage interest is charged...from the initial amount of the loan at the beginning.  So I guess it makes sense that paying extra towards the "principal" would decrease the interest charged?

 

I bet there are states where they are not legally permitted to do this.  That's likely why some people are not seeing the charges.

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,327
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@eddyandme wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@viva923Don't some cards still carry annual fees just to have the card?  It's been a long time since I investigated cards, but I think so.

 

The only cards I use are general cards -  no store cards, no Q card.  Not enough advsntage to any of them to make me deal with them -  and too much temptation with all the supposedly wonderful sales.


@millieshops

 

I believe some card(s) from American Express charge an annual fee, but I think extra services are included.  I chose Optima (Amercan Express) 'cause no annual fee.


Yes, some cards do still charge annual fees. I have two AMEX cards with annual fees. One is associated with an airline program and one is a regular AMEX. The benefits that I get from those cards, particularly the travel benefits, more than make up for the cost of the annual fee. They make sense for me, but certainly not for everyone. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,139
Registered: ‎04-16-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@WenGirl42 wrote:

If I think about this from the financial institution's POV, it does make sense (I still think it's unethical and crazy though).  If HSN didn't offer flex pays, and someone wanted to make lower monthly payments on their item, they'd have to charge the full amount and pay it off in installments, accruing interest along the way*.  From the consumer's standpoint, the benefit of flex pay is that they can avoid the interest charge, but if HSN or HSN's affiliated bank is the one extending the credit, it makes total sense that they'd still want this interest (flex pays likely make up a large portion of their purchases, and most people are probably only using their HSN cards to purchase things at HSN).  So I suppose the solution is for the customer to only do flex pays on some other card...in which case why have HSN's card at all? 

 

*Even in this scenario, though, the interest charges go down every month, as they are only computed on the remaining balance and not the initial balance (...unless that's changed).  This new scenario is like how mortgage interest is charged...from the initial amount of the loan at the beginning.  So I guess it makes sense that paying extra towards the "principal" would decrease the interest charged?

 

I bet there are states where they are not legally permitted to do this.  That's likely why some people are not seeing the charges.

 


I wonder if these are the same states that allow you to purchase online from HSN and not be charged tax- yet, if I order over the phone from an HSN CS rep, I AM charged tax. I'll have to check my statement and see. I was never notified by the bank; I only have an HSN card, however. I also don't receive any paper statements from them, only online.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@Ibby114 wrote:

@brandiwine wrote:

I use the flex pay now and then and have never been charged interest as long as I pay in full and on time.  



@brandiwine wrote:

I use the flex pay now and then and have never been charged interest as long as I pay in full and on time.  


This new 'thing' is effective with the July billing. 


I'm looking at my July billing right now and no interest charges.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,871
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

I have really curbed my shopping on HSN,QVC and Evine.  If i want something, really want and need it I will buy but pay it in full for now on.  Tired of the ezpya, flexpay etc.  I had to ask myself why do I need to spend 6 months paying for SOAP and Beauty product.  

This intrest on fulture charges is nuts. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,124
Registered: ‎07-05-2012

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!


@SahmIam wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

If I think about this from the financial institution's POV, it does make sense (I still think it's unethical and crazy though).  If HSN didn't offer flex pays, and someone wanted to make lower monthly payments on their item, they'd have to charge the full amount and pay it off in installments, accruing interest along the way*.  From the consumer's standpoint, the benefit of flex pay is that they can avoid the interest charge, but if HSN or HSN's affiliated bank is the one extending the credit, it makes total sense that they'd still want this interest (flex pays likely make up a large portion of their purchases, and most people are probably only using their HSN cards to purchase things at HSN).  So I suppose the solution is for the customer to only do flex pays on some other card...in which case why have HSN's card at all? 

 

*Even in this scenario, though, the interest charges go down every month, as they are only computed on the remaining balance and not the initial balance (...unless that's changed).  This new scenario is like how mortgage interest is charged...from the initial amount of the loan at the beginning.  So I guess it makes sense that paying extra towards the "principal" would decrease the interest charged?

 

I bet there are states where they are not legally permitted to do this.  That's likely why some people are not seeing the charges.

 


I wonder if these are the same states that allow you to purchase online from HSN and not be charged tax- yet, if I order over the phone from an HSN CS rep, I AM charged tax. I'll have to check my statement and see. I was never notified by the bank; I only have an HSN card, however. I also don't receive any paper statements from them, only online.


@SahmIam could be.  State regs are all over the place.  I will point out, though, that in *most* states (not all), when an online retailer does not charge the appropriate tax associated with the purchase, the consumer is responsible for paying this as a "use tax" when they file their state tax returns. Of course very few honest people actually do this, which is why we've seen a rise in states making sure online retailers do collect and submit those taxes (by building whatever required facilities are necessary in the state to force this...until that law changes too). 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,756
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

@bonnielu


@bonnielu wrote:

Thanks for the warning.  I however do not do easy pay.  I cannot keep track of it and am uncomfortable not being able to pay up when I buy. I also got rid of my Q card.  I could not handle the nastiness of the bank or banks they deal with.  About two years ago I paid my bill in full, returned one item for the next billing cycle and bought a few more things.  In any case the payment and the bill crossed (timing).  I was dinged for not paying the entire bill that next month. (which was a zero balance) QVC agreed I was paid up.  The BANK reported me to the credit bureau after only 20 days of mix up. They would not give in.  The credit bureau saw the problem and took me off of the HIT LIST (AS I CALL IT).  Not going there anymore.  I prefer my Visa card and they protect me from unfair practices from the get go. 


 

ITA with you.  The EP are horrible.  I paid most up and switched the rest to my Discover card.  The Q card is horrible.  They had a big mix up last year online and told me my  EP were past due.  I pay my bill every month in full and they are suppose to take the charge payment for EP Auto.