Honored Contributor

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

@viva923Don't some cards still carry annual fees just to have the card?  It's been a long time since I investigated cards, but I think so.

The only cards I use are general cards -  no store cards, no Q card.  Not enough advsntage to any of them to make me deal with them -  and too much temptation with all the supposedly wonderful sales.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@viva923Don't some cards still carry annual fees just to have the card?  It's been a long time since I investigated cards, but I think so.

The only cards I use are general cards -  no store cards, no Q card.  Not enough advsntage to any of them to make me deal with them -  and too much temptation with all the supposedly wonderful sales.

@millieshops

I believe some card(s) from American Express charge an annual fee, but I think extra services are included.  I chose Optima (Amercan Express) 'cause no annual fee.

Trusted Contributor

I just checked my last few statements online. They had easy pays but zero finance charges paid year to date. I usually overpay my bill & currently have a negative balance so I would be ticked if they charged interest when they owe me money... 

Respected Contributor

I just called Comenity, they are useless for information.  I was told that they've been doing this for some time.  As an example, I asked if someone decided to purchase something on 4 FlexPays and paid the 1st one off before the statement due date, are they charged interest and she said yes and they've been doing it for a while.  I didn't have anything on FP, my last statement in April had one, but I've never been charged interest.  This makes zero sense.  I told her that HSN is mentioning none of this on air, as they let everyone know about the convenience of FP.  If this has been going on for "a while", why aren't they mentioning this?  I told her I could understand charging interest if the statement amount isn't paid in full and on time, but never have I heard of charging interest on FP that hasn't even reached its due date yet.  What's the point of FP???  When I called HSN, they said they know nothing about this and to call Comentiy, which I did.  Something is messed up bad! 

I'm not on the HSN boards.  Has this been discussed over there?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

I just checked my last few statements online. They had easy pays but zero finance charges paid year to date. I usually overpay my bill & currently have a negative balance so I would be ticked if they charged interest when they owe me money... 

@Tribesters

If I were you, I'd carefully check all charges on your statement. If they've charged any interest it will show on the back of statement. Make sure that if you have a $9 FP come thru you are not charged any more than that. I bet if you tell them you want interest on your overpayment they'll just tell you no way!

Honored Contributor

Just remembered that last month, I received a letter from Comenity stating they closed a CC because I didn't use it enough.    I have no idea what store that card was issued for.

They  must be cleaning house and looking to make more money and cut down on expenses.

Respected Contributor

I use the flex pay now and then and have never been charged interest as long as I pay in full and on time.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called Commenity CS and found out the following information. Interest fees will be charged on HSN Card and the HSN Mastercard.  I hope I am going to explain it to you correctly but here it goes. If you bought an item for $200.00 (flex payment $50.00) before your statement closed and paid for that flex pay in full and then bought another item after the statement closed for a flex pay of $45.00 you need to include that in your payment. If you don't you will be charged interest fees on that item. In other words, as long as you owe them money using their credit cards, you will accrue interest charges.

I have never heard of this way of doing business. It would be like if I bought something at Macy's and paid for that item in full that my statement required and them bought another item after the closing date I would need to include that amount into my payment or accrue interest charges.

I paid my account off in full and will not be doing business with HSN. That's another shopping channel that has bit the dust. I don't shop on Evine due to their s&h policies and their refunds. The only shopping channel that I will continue to do business with is QVC. 

I have empathy for customers that do not understand their change in policy. Some will not even question this change and continue to pay their bills. When I challenged the Commenity CS and told her this change was just beyond the scope of reality. She seemed to get upset and told me they were not breaking laws.

To me this seems like a bait and switch. If you shop with HSN, use your own credit or debit card. They are squeezing the customers that use flex pay to stay within their budget. My only hope is that they lose business by this new policy.

Valued Contributor

I just checked my last statement. It has to do with making the minimum. If you pay in full, you shouldn't be effected.
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelLove2 wrote:
I just checked my last statement. It has to do with making the minimum. If you pay in full, you shouldn't be effected.

@AngelLove2

The way as it was stated to me, if you pay all of your flex-pays off along with your invoiced balance, you won't get charged any interest. This policy went into effect in July.