Esteemed Contributor

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

@SilleeMee wrote:

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Is this happening with the HSN cc, HSN Mastercard, or BOTH???

I think it's both cards @IlliniGirl88

From the comments on this thread, it appears to be both cards.  Charging interest on goods/services that haven't been billed yet is unethical! (probably illegal too!)

Honored Contributor

I had an HSN card for years.  Just the store card, not the Mastercard.  I closed it in June because there was no benefit for me to have it.  They no longer give full credit for the prepaid return label and they limit the number of returns you can make and receive any type of return label credit at all.

Now after seeing this, I'm glad I closed it.  I did you flexpay and always paid my balance in full every month.  Charging interest in future flexpays sounds illegal at worst and unethical at best. 

Respected Contributor

I just called HSN and asked if interest was being charged on Flex Pays, which are paid ontime, that are charged to either the HSN cc/and or the HSN Mastercard.  They hadn't heard anything about this.  Has anyone called Commenity to see what answer they have about this.  The CS person I spoke with said it didn't make sense to charge interest for Flex Pay if they are paid on time. 

Trusted Contributor

That is unethical practice that I feel reflects poorly on HSN. The show hosts or website should mention when using flex pay ... interest charges will occur on future installments.... when using "our cards."

With that said ... My July statement Comenity-HSN CC, due in mid-August did not have any interest charges on it.

Honored Contributor

I have a question...if I close my cc account, won't this take a hit on my credit score? I've always thought that closing cc accounts will lower your score.

Esteemed Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

I just called HSN and asked if interest was being charged on Flex Pays, which are paid ontime, that are charged to either the HSN cc/and or the HSN Mastercard.  They hadn't heard anything about this.  Has anyone called Commenity to see what answer they have about this.  The CS person I spoke with said it didn't make sense to charge interest for Flex Pay if they are paid on time. 

@IlliniGirl88

It was a Comenity rep who told me about it. I then called HSN c/s and notified them. Perhaps the 'word' has not trickled down from the HSN POB 'cause they don't know how to respond to all the cust complaints.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a question...if I close my cc account, won't this take a hit on my credit score? I've always thought that closing cc accounts will lower your score.

@SilleeMee

I think it's the other way around: take a hit by getting another card; but, electing to close it on your own s/b fine.

Trusted Contributor

Two or three times in the last 10 years I've forgotten to pay by the due date (once we were in China).  Of course we have bill pay and I should have set up a date to pay.  However, I wrote letters each time asking them to forgive the interest as I was a long time 25 year customer and they took off the $30 or $35 each time.  You have to put it in writing and not call.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If they told you it started in July, then they should only be able to charge interest on items that you buy from that date in July, they can't add interest to whatever else you purchased before July even if the easy pay starts say in March of '17 and goes till August of '17.  You bought that before the policy started.  I would check that and keep fighting.  I do use HSN credit card and QVC, but I always pay the full amount.  I just don't trust easy pay, they always find sneaky ways to add different fees. 

QVC is offering no charge for exchanges but now they charge to use their label.  I actually asked what happens if you request a change in size or color and it's sold out, and they told me they won't charge for the return.  I'll keep you posted on that.

Respected Contributor

This may seem like a silly question so bear with me, how would the credit card company know when a charge hits their card that it is from an installment vs a charge for a regular type purchase that maybe someone was buying again.  If I'm not mistaken they all are charged interest.