Esteemed Contributor

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have an HSN CC and there are easy pays on it.  I always pay my bill in full as soon as it it posted ( I get an e-mail) so my bill is paid before the paper bill arrives.

i just looked at my July and August statements on line.  I was charged zero interest.  I have also paid zero interest for 2017.

@Carmie

I can only tell you what I was told by the bank's customer service rep:  as I was convenced it was a processing error, I was shocked to find out this new practice that only went into effect in July. Can't understand why paying online would make a differnce, unless it's a glitch in the bank's system since it's a relatively new practice.

I pay my CC bill right on the HSN website by transferring funds from my bank.  It's not automatic.  I only have their CC for their merchandise, not the MasterCard.

if I was charged interest on future postings, I would not tolerate it.  That can't possible be legal.  How can they charge you for something that hasn't been posted to your cc account yet? 

@CarmieI was speaking in regard to the Mastercard whichis thru Comenity Bank. I also questioned how could charging interest on something not billed on statement yet and was told the bank notified cardholders of this new policy a few months ago and that it would go into effect in July. Guess credit card companies can get away with anything nowadays as long as they post notice.Woman Mad 

I just downloaded my statement for the HSN CC and it does state on the second page about their credit policies. It does state it goes into effect in July. You might try calling this number for help: Customer Care at 1-888-724-6649 .

HOW TO AVOID PAYING INTEREST. Your due date is at least 25 days after

the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases

if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. We will begin to

charge interest on new purchases made under a Low APR, Equal Payment

or Budget Payment Credit Plan from the date of purchase.

BALANCE COMPUTATION METHOD. We calculate interest separately for

each type of balance on your account using a 3Daily Balance4 to determine

interest charges for each billing period. We figure the interest charge on

your account by applying the periodic rate to the 3daily balance4 of your

account for each day in the billing cycle. To get the 3daily balance4 we

take the beginning balance of your account each day, add any new

purchases and fees, and subtract any payments or credits (treating any net

credit balance as a zero balance). This gives us the daily balance.

The interest must only apply to the HSN Mastercard. I know other credit cards have this policy. You just need to be aware of what is happening with your card. 

Honored Contributor

@elated Whoa... I don't have that card, but if I did, it would be history.  I'd cancel it yesterday.  That is truly gouging people.

i only have the HSN "store" card.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated

Thank you.  Even had I read it it just never would have dawned on me they were referring to easy pay future charges.  Just can't deal with a credit card company that would do this and still can't understand how they're allowed to do such a thing. Glad I closed out my a/c - sure HSN will be losing a lot of business plus fielding many complaints.  Too bad, something like this should never occur.Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

I haven't been shopping at all but I stopped doing easy pay or flex pay a long time ago.

It just feels like you're paying the item forever. I don't have any of their credit cards. The interest is too high and I'd rather pay cash for anything I buy. I don't like to have any debt. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

On the HSN credit   card they're charging interest on future easy pays  - it's unethical to charge interest on goods and services that were not yet invoiced.  I pay my statement balance in full each month and was charged almost $13 interest for July & August! Woman Embarassed I just  changed my credit card on file and sent an email to HSN corporate about this.  It's really making me question doing business with them- this is so unethical. And sneaky!

@Ibby114

Are you referring to the HSN-Mastercard - that's what I had - but just realized from other posters that HSN has a regular card, not a Mastercard with Comenity. From what has been mentioned here, it seems this practice is not happening with the HSN "store" card. I'm nt sure if HSN was aware of Comenity Bank's new practice 'cause the HSN rep I spoke with yesterday was totally unaware so was definitely forward to management.

I have the HSN 'store' credit card - it's the HSN credit card without the mastercard logo. and it's happening there.

I just filed a complaint with the FCC-  HSN (corporate at least) must be aware of this as they partner with Comenity.  Charging interest before you're even billed?  Talk about hitting my raw nerve! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I haven't been shopping at all but I stopped doing easy pay or flex pay a long time ago.

It just feels like you're paying the item forever. I don't have any of their credit cards. The interest is too high and I'd rather pay cash for anything I buy. I don't like to have any debt. 

That's what I usually do, but if an item is expensive, I'll do easy pay.  That way if I have to send it back for some reason, I am not tying up my money or having to deal with getting my money refunded.

Sometimes if I like the item and everything is okay with it, I'll just go back into the site and pay it off in full, cancelling the easy payments.

i never carry a balance, so I pay no interest.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay my statement balance in full each month-  through June I had $0 in interest. Since July that hasn't been the case.  If I'm not billed for something yet how can I avoid interest then?? !

I won't use their card-  I'm going to think long and hard about my business with them. To keep this important thread from getting poofed I won't suggest what this reminds me of (my ex had a gambling problem...).

I took their card off my account and put another as default. I also went under the 'easy pay mananger' page and changed all those charges to go to the updated card.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I pay my statement balance in full each month-  through June I had $0 in interest. Since July that hasn't been the case.  If I'm not billed for something yet how can I avoid interest then?? !

I won't use their card-  I'm going to think long and hard about my business with them. To keep this important thread from getting poofed I won't suggest what this reminds me of (my ex had a gambling problem...).

I took their card off my account and put another as default. I also went under the 'easy pay mananger' page and changed all those charges to go to the updated card.

That's exactly what I did, too @Ibby114

Respected Contributor

HSN is going to have a big headache to deal with over this.  Think of the times they're selling items and mention that if you buy on Flex Pay you can get it home with no interest charges; the item, shipping, and tax are just divided up over a certain amount of months.  Have they been specifically calling out on air that if you purchase an item on Flex Pay with your HSN Mastercard that you'll pay interest as soon as the charge hits the card?  If not, they'd better start.  There's no benefit to use the HSN Mastercard for Flex Pay due to interest being charged immediately.  Thankfully I don't have that card.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

That's what I usually do, but if an item is expensive, I'll do easy pay.  That way if I have to send it back for some reason, I am not tying up my money or having to deal with getting my money refunded.

Sometimes if I like the item and everything is okay with it, I'll just go back into the site and pay it off in full, cancelling the easy payments.

i never carry a balance, so I pay no interest.

I use flex pay so I can feel/touch the item first- jsut like you would do if you were in a b&m!! I never carry  a balance, always paying my statement balance in full. On my HSN credit card  I had $0 interest through June; July was the first month impacted.