Esteemed Contributor

Re: HSN CC switching to Synchrony for those worthy....

@Witchy Woman, yes Walmart and Synchrony fell out and Walmart is switching to Capital One. Most of our cards are with Synchrony but we have never had a problem with them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I assume you folks who are switching to Capital One are aware of the data breach announced a few days ago, which affects millions of Capital One credit card customers.

Maybe it's not a reason for concern, but if you  haven't heard about it, check it out.

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I can attest to what @MizzP78 is saying regarding limit reductions.

I have a few other cards with Synchrony. I use them and then pay it off. The one I really like is TJMaxx/Homegoods/HomeSense; the gift certificates you receive for spending XYZ don't expire and you can give the to anyone to use. This is the one card I use all the time.

As I said, I pay off the balance each month.This one time, I paid off the balance ONE DAY before the closing date which I didn't know UNTIL Kredit Karma emailed me an update: THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO YOUR CREDIT SCORE.

Synchrony had REDUCED my limit by 75% and was charging me a LATE FEE for the amount I had paid!!!! I called and that's when I found out I paid before the closing date. THEIR policy was it didn't count and therefore, it was late.

What. The. &%&)!!!!!!????? 

That idiotic policy made my score go down. Closed it and every other card with Synchrony except for QVC because I rarely use it and when I do, pay it off via the easy pay window, not via the card. (does that make sense?) HSN is no big loss now that they've become the junk channel (IMHO). EVINE also uses Synchrony but I also pay it off via the flexpaywindow, just like QVC.

That happens when you pay before your statement closes and you have a balance.  

Super Contributor

Ugh this has been a nightmare for me.  First, my HSN card got shut off before expected and I had easy pays and stuff bouncing unexpectedly.  Then finally I could activate the new card I got (received a couple wees ago but you could not activate til 8/26).  Well I went to activate last night and finally had to call CS.  My card somehow got closed and Synchrony pointed at Comentity and Vice Versa.  Finally I had my cell and landline on speaker and had both CS together.  Comentity had no clue but finally came up with some BS that my card was closed in July due to fraud yet I never got any alerts that I had signed up for nor a letter nor indication on my credit report that this card was closed.  Plus I used it a few times after the July date they gave.  I think they were grasping at straws - around the date they gave I put in the wrong CID number on a purchase but corrected myself and all was good after.

So Comenity told Synchrony it was now their problem and hung up.  I got a Supervisor (named Toni) and she was great.  They were saying something that my card was closed because of a Post Office return, yet I have lived at this address 15 years and got my new HSN card as well as the letter saying the change was coming.  There was some confusion whether she could reopen my card, but since my history was flawless and the "close code ended in "00" she reopened it and all was OK.  I tested using it today and so far so good.

So moral of the story - if something like this happens to you, and I don't think I was alone here, ask for a Supervisor at Synchrony.  Don't let them transfer you to Comenity.  Even though it worked out I felt screwed, as I had the potential to lose a card with a decent limit for which I had a flawless payment history.  It makes no sense to screw a good long time customer.  This was a bungled mess.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've never had a problem with Synchrony bank (my Evine card), but boy, trying to figure out Evine's (newer) billing system is confusing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't gotten  my new HSN card yet.  

I guess HSN master card got their new cards but regular HSN card doesn't get issued until Sept/Oct. I was able to set up my account with Synchrony using my old HSN card.

Valued Contributor

They told me that I will pay this month's bill to Comenity and that they will send a letter saying what to do next month. I guess that is when you find out if you made the cut.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelLove2  I have only an HSN card. I was able to register using my old HSN card number (have not received the new one). I can make a payment, see everything without issue. The system is up and running now. Letters regarding the change over and what to do were received a month ago (at least, that's when I received mine).

@Lucky Charm  I find the ShopHQ system MUCH easier now since the day it changed. Prior, there were so many issues/complaints as per CS. Looks like their tech department fixed everything (to me as all my issues disappeared).

@Warrior2022 Yes, I know. My point was I've never had this happen with any OTHER bank card in all the years I've had credit. 

Respected Contributor

Mine switched over but I had to creat a totally new logon which I didn't expect. Once I did that I can get in and pay the bill and all that.  Seems ok so far.

Honored Contributor

My paypal MC is with Synchtony.  No problems at all.