Respected Contributor

Re: HSN Bans ‘Used-Car Salesmen,’ ‘Yellers’ and ‘Hijackers’ From Network

I no longer watch HSN because I can’t stand the sound of their hosts. So I would say it is about time.

Honored Contributor

I would rather hear the vendors, then the hosts. Most of the host's don't let them speak. Why are they even there?

Honored Contributor

wish they would do this on QVC to tamper down  Susan Graver.

Honored Contributor

They better listen to this guy, maybe their sales will improve. People impulse buy when they are watching the show and if you can't stand to watch, well no sale.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never watch HSN, maybe 20 minutes in my entire life....needed Joy's hangers.

But if this is legit ... I wish QVC would get a copy and heed this (copied from the memo):

"Slow down. When you are speeding through the presentation, a lot of the information gets lost because you’re trying to squeeze 30 minutes’ worth of information into a 10-minute presentation. Edit your demos, features and benefits to fit the time that you have."

MaryBeth and Sandra are the only ones that don't "yell" and are not talking 150 wpm.

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Are they sure it was sent to the correct network?  If this is a directive via the new pecking order, they should look to their own vendors.  Just sayin...

Yeah, pot to kettle.

Honored Contributor

I think Gordie made a mistake I think this email should have been sent to QVC Hosts!!!  

The used car salesperson approach and sales gimmicks most viewers can't stand--

The insincertiy of some of the Q hosts

Some Q hosts arent professional

Some dont research or know their products (although there are a few that do an outstanding job).......

DO SLOW DOWN, DON'T YELL!---this should be engraved on some of the cards the Q hosts use on the shows...

Dont talk over the vendor

And most important ---Don't take the focus off the PRODUCT and shift it to YOU!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Though I no longer shop much with either entity, and while QVC's 3% revenue increase is hardly stellar, for HSN to see a decline in revenue of 9% is really discouraging... I have long thought that home shopping needs to reinvent itself and that need seems to be more and more pressing... None of these networks are what they used to be...

@stevieb

What I find interesting is that while QVC continues to struggle with a meager 3% revenue increase, and HSN continues its very dismal results....the part of their company that is shining is Zulilly a strictly online company......which doesn't bode well for the shopping networks whose merger was supposed to challenge Amazon....Woman LOLWoman LOL

And interesting note-- I watched the Hallmark Mysteries on Sunday....I noticed quite a few ads for Zulilly ....I think they want that part of their company to make up the difference in the poor results from the shopping channels 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

In my experience, HSN has a bad habit of exagerating what some of the items do.  For example, this bulb will run 40 days, then you buy it and it runs 2 weeks.  While to me, QVC does not tell out right lies about electronic products.  At least that is my experience.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

If the guy who sent this memo has been in business for as long as he says, then I can say he has learned NOTHING about dealing with people for a record length of time. Demeaning, insulting, and condescending are the first words that come to mind. There are so many better ways to have delivered his message. On these boards we have complained about the hard sell, as much from hosts as from vendors. However, sending a blanket message to EVERYONE, regardless of whether or not they deserved criticism, was just plain dumb.

@Vivian

No Vivian since I've been in the workforce for a loooooooong time that is EXACTLY what a lot of companies do unfortuantely ---they put people in Executive positions in charge of people that do NOT know how to deal with people---sad but true! 

And I've had bosses yell and scream and chew EVERYONE out in a meeting ....when it was only one or two people that needed a private meeting with the Manager for doing things wrong,  but we all got criticized instead for something we never did!!!....what a morale booster!Woman Frustrated