Respected Contributor

Re: HSN Bans ‘Used-Car Salesmen,’ ‘Yellers’ and ‘Hijackers’ From Network

I agree with some of the other posters, I'm wondering if this is real. First it should have been sent to QVC not HSN. SG comes to mind when I read the "Used car salesmen" and "Yeller" statements. I

change the channel when she come on and no longer purchase her clothes. Many errors in the memo. It just doesn't read like a memo from an executive. But we shall see what the fall out will be, if there is any at all.

Valued Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Doesn't QVC now own HSN?

No.  QVC does not own HSN.  They are both owned by Liberty Media.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  Here's my guess of what happened... 

This Gordie person was instructed by his upper management to try to develop a different tone amongst the vendors.  They met and discussed important points and key areas for improvement.  Gordie took notes.  Then, extremely unfortunately, Gordie turned an internal meeting into a word for word email to the vendors, thinking he wanted to make sure he got all the important factors.  Big mistake! 

If Gordie is indeed the talent manager, he does have a responsibility to ensure the viewer's shopping experience represents HSN policy and decorum.  But boy did he do it all wrong! 

I used to have an employee that handled purchasing for several groups.  A part of his internal training was to make sure the person requesting items from him submitted a well written justification for the item.  The reason was because "we always need to make sure the company's funds are being spent on company business, not on someone's personal vacation supplies."  Well, you guessed it, the next time the employee got a request for a purchase without that written justification, he responded word for word what he was told in his training.  Needless to say there were calls for his firing immediately!  I was not the one who hired him or gave his training, but I was the one to clean up his mess.  He knew the responsibilities and importance of his job, but he lacked all important communication skills.  I had him send all emails through me for a while after that.

Internally, I don't see anything wrong with the pointers in his email.  He just should have never sent it out like that.  Awful. There was a much better way to communicate that and get the result needed.  Now, Gordie may be looking for another position.

Esteemed Contributor

If the guy who sent this memo has been in business for as long as he says, then I can say he has learned NOTHING about dealing with people for a record length of time. Demeaning, insulting, and condescending are the first words that come to mind. There are so many better ways to have delivered his message. On these boards we have complained about the hard sell, as much from hosts as from vendors. However, sending a blanket message to EVERYONE, regardless of whether or not they deserved criticism, was just plain dumb.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with others that what Gordie said are things that need to be done. If it came from a QVC rep, then HOLY MOLY do they need to put those same lessons in place at QVC. The thing is, many of the hosts on both networks are just as bad as the vendors.

The screaming matches at HSN are a HUGE reason why I don't watch presentations; I ONLY shop via their site. No, I DO watch Trish McEvoy when she is on. QVC, with the exception of a few, IS more calm.

Now, I'm wondering WHO the vendor that replied happened to be: A couple come to mind. Considering these vendors have been with HSN a LONG time and bring in  BIG bucks, that really wasn't the smartest way to handle it and yet....the truth does hurt.

One thing I have always hated is when management doesn't back up their staff, no matter how low on the ladder they are. I seriously doubt Gordie had carte blanche to write and then send something out; who approved it? How much you want to bet that upper management threw Gordie under the bus so that for NOW they don't look bad BUT, they WILL implement every single thing in that email.

We'll see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this ‘sensitive’ information is being shared by a spare blogger,

it would’ve gone mainstream by now.

But this random blogger sure is getting lots of $ per click

by posting a splashy headline to an online audience.

Every click is $ in her/his pocket.  Solicitation?

Not buying it...until it’s picked up by a more reputable source.

599DEA13-4041-44BA-AD7D-280A46DC56DF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

About the only vendor I watch live  is Marla ,and I have never felt she acted like that

I do wonder if we are going to lose the great clearance sales they always had?

I buy mostly from Q and T , but, H offers some really great bargains, and you can't find them anywhere else.

I am not sure who they are targeting? Anthony and Iman  don't act like that. I have watched their videos  a few times, and they both seem low key

Honored Contributor

Come to think of it, I can think of someone at Q that does all of this..as soon as they come on ,I switch the channel, and I don't watch all that much ,to begin with, except for Martha, I always watch her

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, that was interesting.  While it's probably a pretty good bet that 90+% of the viewership is female, the E-mail should have been inclusive or instead say "the viewer".  

Also, wondering if the hosts are getting a similar E-mail as I find a couple of them rather loud and overbearing (and car-salesman-like). 

The other thing that bothered me about the E-mail was the assumption that the host knows as much about the product as the vendor.  But, it sounds like there is an approved list of things that can be discussed about an item and if the vendor happens to think of a feature that hasn't been approved they can't bring that up?  How about if it comes up as a question, as in an on-air caller asks about it?

Some of the QVC presentations also sound they violate the terms of this E-mail.  

If there is in fact an approved list of things that can be discussed about an item it most likely the result of vetting by their legal department.  Anything that hasn't been vetted cannot be said.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

This person stated the very reasons I don't watch HSN or QVC.  When I first began watching Q a few years back. it was never like that and saw the glaring difference between HSN and QVC. I could never stomach watching the slick used-car approach employed by not only the vendors but the hosts of Hsn so I stuck with Q.  But Q has become the same way so I don't watch it anymore.  While the letter isn't the kindest or the most grammatically correct, I agree with it and think it's about time.