Honored Contributor

Re: HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer

@MKR14 wrote:

I just ordered this as it is on sale for $49.98 for Black Friday.

I had $15.00 credit on my account on a return so I used this also. It comes with the ink and also instant ink is available.

Anyone have this? E234610 Is the item number. 
Some sites had bad reviews and some were really good.

I figure I would just return as defective if there was a problem.

@MKR14 I read an interesting article or post written by an engineer that designs ink jet and other printers. There is a part added into the printer that deliberately stops working after a certain amount of printing. One reader of the article was able to fix his printer after reading what the engineer wrote. He bought the part that purposefully  breaks. He wrote back that this worked so well he was ordering a couple more so he can extend the life of his printer. The engineer also wrote that turning the printer off and then starting it again does something that shortens the life of something in the printer. Sorry, but I don't remember what it was but it had something to do with the ink. I wish I had a copy of this article. I think this might have been in a thread somewhere about built in obsolescence. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: @@=Re: HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer

@MKR14 wrote:

You buy your cartridges as usual at the store or online BUT if you want to pay the per month charge for Instank Ink it means you can sign up and pay per month for whatever you usually print and HP will know when to send you more. Then they charge way less than you buying the cartridges and don't have to worry that you will run out of ink. Right now most ink is out and not available so I wouod think you would not run out being on the plan. Many people love this.

My HP Envy was not available for this as I have had it since 2011. I will definitely subscribe to Instant Ink when I upgrade my own printer soon.I don't print much but I am constantly buying ink for my son's Billing that have to be send through the mail. This way my son will have his own printer and buy his own. Saves me money when the HP Black Friday printer comes. Hope this helps.

@MKR14

Please stay away from an instant ink promotion.

You can buy ink when you need it.

This printer is fine for everyday, but not for a business. At 7 pages per minute it will be slow, and wireless printing will feel slower. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer

@MKR14  We have had one for a few months now, and we paid more. The only disappointment is that you can't print two sided without going to the printer and flipping the paper.