Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOw do you handle a rainy day alone in isolation

I clean house! There is always something to clean.

The last rainy day I cleaned out my husband's workbench.   He passed away seventeen years ago so I knew I would have to do it.
  I have three huge bags of junk for the garbage tomorrow. I tossed anything I didn't recognize. Now I know where a screwdriver is! The hammers are all together. 
  That took until noon, then after lunch and a walk I did the garage closet. 
   I like to plan something productive daily.

Honored Contributor

I hate being inside all day. We have some TV series on DVD that I can watch on rainy days.

Esteemed Contributor

I love a rainy day, translate into a day off when I can read, binge TV or whatever.  I get very tired of the constant sunny days in the summer.  I should really be living in Seattle with DD, love the weather and the City.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@gellen 

I am never isolated alone. We have had pets in our homes since the early 1970's, and pets at times, can be better than human company. 

Before the virus my wife would be gone Pet Sitting, at times, for over 3 weeks. Pets are still here and cloudy/sun shining/raining or snowing, has no effect on how I feel.

Hope for more sunny days for you. ☀️

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  I agree sometimes pets are better company than humans! I don't know what I'd do without my Jack Russells. We walk at least three miles daily and one is seventeen. The exercise is good. 
  They help me with cleaning and laundry, they make a game of it. They give me someone to talk to and have trained themselves to be hearing dogs.

There's always something to do with a pet. And they curl up on your lap so nice!

Respected Contributor

I don't like gloomy/rainy days either.  So it doesn't matter whether I am in isolation or not.  I do the same regardless.

Respected Contributor

@gellen  There are lots of things to do when safe at home when it's raining.  I tend to bake cookies (can always store in freezer if I make too many), watch a movie, or just turn up some good positive music and putter around the house doing little chores.

My choice of music would be The Eagles Greatest Hits, George Michaels greatest hits, the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever, or similar.  

You can always google Beekman 1802 goat cam.  They have live videos of baby goats and they are so fun to watch!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

It's really tough, here in central Pennsylvania we have had a lot of rainy days, I mean a lot. It is very discouraging the gloom and doom in the cold in the house, but once in a while the sun pops out for a nice day, and you try to take advantage of getting outside and going for a walk trying to take in the sun which is good for the soul.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very rude response to a valid question. Try being a little more empathetic and understanding next time. Be kind.

Honored Contributor

I learned to like rain after living in an area where it didn't rain...one drop...for five years.  

I love it knowing the trees, shrubs, and grass, are getting a drink of water.  They look so healthy and happy afterwards.  During the summer, I see birds taking a bath. The Robins out looking for worms.

In the winter, I know the rain is filling up the waterways that I always hear need it. Of course, I don't like too much of it.  

It depends on how you look at it.

Regular Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I do ok on the nice days - rainy days not so much!

Please don't let the haters get you down. Most of us are here to be kind and help each other out! 

Personally, I love a rainy, cool day. But I understand that they can be gloomy for a lot of people. I try to take on inside projects that I have been putting off. I watch Netflix and catch up on series that I have been meaning to watch. Maybe I cook a meal that makes the house smell good, especially if in the slow cooker all day. Wrap up in a cozy blanket or a comfy sweater as I know that hot, humid weather is on the way, (which I dislike!). I know it's not that easy for everyone, especially in these uncertain times, but just try to take care of yourself as best you can and do things, even small things, that make you feel happy! And again, don't let the haters and people who are unhappy in their own lives bring you down....Heart