Esteemed Contributor

HOmeless population of San Diego

I attended a neighborhood gathering tonight and was speaking to a neighbor about her most recent trip.  SHe and her sister are in their late sixties and travel frequently and extensively together on their own.  THey have been all over the world.  Their most recent trip was to San Diego.  WHen I asked her how she liked it she said it was a beautiful city but she was shocked by the large population of homeless who congregate in the areas that attract tourists.  SHe said there were thousands of them.  MUch worse than any other city she has ever been in including cities like Bombay.  SHe said they were very intimidating and aggressive in their pan handling tactics and if you did not give them anything they would often follow them for a block or two screaming curses.  IF you did give one money and the others saw it they would come and swarm around them demanding that they also get money.  SHe said there were police within hearing distance of these encounters who took no action whatsoever. SHe said there were some restaurants within walking distance of their hotel that they had wanted to try but the prospect of venturing out in the dark and facing such encounters was too daunting so they ended up eating in their hotel.  SHe said that nowhere in all their travels have they felt so concerned about their safety as on the streets of San Diego.  

You would think that the city officials would be concerned about this and want to take some action as this sort of reputation definitely affects the tourist.dollar.

Any posters live there and have some insight about this issue?

Respected Contributor

Re: HOmeless population of San Diego

[ Edited ]

I had this experience one summer when I spent 8 weeks working in downtown Seattle. Places with mild climates will attract the homeless. I know some of these folks are mentally ill, which adds to the unpredictability of the encounters. i am not heartless or unsympathetic, but the scammers and threat of aggressive behavior make me avoid panhandlers too. One man approached me immediately and loudly demanded money. It was almost a mugging. Some gentlemen walking by came to my aid, but having to walk through this gauntlet twice daily to get to the office was intimidating.

New Contributor

San Francisco was like that too.  My friend and I are both in our 60's and spent 4 days in Fishermans Wharf area and this past August 2017.  I could not believe all of the homeless people living on the sidewalk, and in tents.  Hard to believe this is in he United States.

Esteemed Contributor

IT does make you stop and think that so many people say they will not travel to Europe because of their concern about terrorist attacks and yet these very well traveled ladies felt that the greatest threat to their personal safety was right here on the streets of the good old USA

Honored Contributor

@Grandma dice wrote:

San Francisco was like that too.  My friend and I are both in our 60's and spent 4 days in Fishermans Wharf area and this past August 2017.  I could not believe all of the homeless people living on the sidewalk, and in tents.  Hard to believe this is in he United States.

Yes I agree!  My brother lived in San Francisco for many years.   He and his partner decided to move to the midwest when they finally got so disgusted with all of the homeless along with the high cost of living there.  This was over ten years ago and it was really bad then!

Trusted Contributor

I do not live in San Diego, however I travel there 2 times a year as my dr. is there. I was last there this summer.

I stay in a high tourist area in Little Italy. I travel all over SD while there.  

Have I seen homeless people in the area's I have been in yes. By the thousands NO.

A person or two here and there. Once walked passed a park where there were a few homeless gathered, they never even looked in our direction.

I have never once been approached by anyone. My husband and I walk all over while we are there. I find San Diego a very friendly city and everyone says hello to you.  I never felt anything but safe there.

Respected Contributor

What a sad and judgmental thread

Respected Contributor

This is my hometown and I’m saddened about this.  I remember as a teen in the 70’s my mom didn’t want me taking the bus to the city.  Why wouldn’t they have a bad homeless problem?  They have the most beautiful weather.  The hepatitis problem is horrible and I imagine people don’t want to go to Horton Plaza.  It is a beautiful mall that has lost Nordstrom and other stores.  My hometown used to be a beautiful military town where you felt you knew one another.  I went to the high school where  Cameron Crowe wrote Fast Times at Ridgemont High and I rode my bike to Pacific Beach.  We were always warned that San Diego would become the next LA and it has.  Smog, horrible traffic and too many people.  I have not been there recently, but when I do go home I will avoid downtown.  

Respected Contributor

@Grandma dice wrote:

Lots of teens in front of Macy’s with their dogs begging for money.  

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I had this experience one summer when I spent 8 weeks working in downtown Seattle. Places with mild climates will attract the homeless. I know some of these folks are mentally ill, which adds to the unpredictability of the encounters. i am not heartless or unsympathetic, but the scammers and threat of aggressive behavior make me avoid panhandlers too. One man approached me immediately and loudly demanded money. It was almost a mugging. Some gentlemen walking by came to my aid, but having to walk through this gauntlet twice daily to get to the office was intimidating.

Seattle is where I encountered it.  Was going on a cruise and ship was to go out of there.  We flew out a few days before to see the city.  One area was in a parklike setting and they were just hanging around there and yes, there were cops on bikes that would come thru every once in awhile to scatter them - but as soon as they were gone, they'd be back.