Honored Contributor

Re: HOmeless population of San Diego

[ Edited ]

”One in every 27 of students in Washington state is homeless. About half are in 5th grade or younger. And 87 percent of homeless kids in Seattle Public Schools are students of color, widening the achievement gap. Join The Seattle Times’ Project Homeless team for a hard look at homelessness in our city, possible real-world solutions and support services to help homeless kids stay in school, find permanent housing and learn to thrive.”

I received the above info from a Seattle Times email the other day. I hope Seattle comes up with a positive solution for these kids.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GSPgirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Seattle is another "WELCOMING MAT" city for the homeless...

Seattle  taxes the people who live  in Seattle  TO DEATH that are real citizens  and work for a living.... to support  those who want to live off of the taxpayer. 

Hords of homeless move here to Seattle and many of them are mentally ill, felons and the like.  They pitch homeless camps  any where they want.....and leave there garbage  for others to clean up.  When offered help they do not want it.

It is really GREAT. 

Sounds just like San Francisco.  

@GSPgirl

Do you live in San Francisco?  I doubt you read any of the posts from me letting people know many of the homeless are housed in large refurbished hotels, that, among other forms of housing and help, are NOT paid for by taxpayers.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Seattle is another "WELCOMING MAT" city for the homeless...

Seattle  taxes the people who live  in Seattle  TO DEATH that are real citizens  and work for a living.... to support  those who want to live off of the taxpayer. 

Hords of homeless move here to Seattle and many of them are mentally ill, felons and the like.  They pitch homeless camps  any where they want.....and leave there garbage  for others to clean up.  When offered help they do not want it.

It is really GREAT. 

Sounds just like San Francisco.  

Oh, jeez, and here I had managed to put that comment out of my mind.

I wonder why some people never read the information within the discussions, and then they turn up woefully uniformed.

Respected Contributor

My DS works in NYC and I've noticed more homeless people there over the last couple of years.  We were in Boston last week and I also saw some homeless there too.  I have noticed that many of the homeless are young, they look like they're in their 20's and I find it very sad.  We have a community action center where I live and I do donate food, clothing and when needed, money to those in need.  I wish I knew what the answer is to this growing probem.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Another point is that homeless can also be invisible.  There are a lot of people who look perfectly normal, but after finding a church or soup kitchen during evening time, they head back to where they live, in their car.

Walmart has given permission to some of their stores to let the homeless living in cars or an SUV park overnight in their parking lots where a security guard is on durty.

There are kids that go to school everyday who are homeless.  No one knows but the school and them.

@sunshine 919  This is true.   There is a drive every year here for donations for clothes and school supplies.  These children need backpacks, pencils, crayons, etc. to fulfill the teacher lists.  Most of the children are in shelters so it is a bit easier to help them out. 

Some live in hotel rooms paid for with funds but they still do not have basic supplies.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

I haven't read all the posts, but I would say there are so many homeless because no one can afford to rent an apartment, much less buy a house.  It's the same in L.A.  I live 40 miles outside of L.A. and the rent for apartments here is almost un-doable for many people.  I can only guess it is twice that the closer to the coast.  Who can afford to even have a shack?  So sad.