Honored Contributor

Re: HOmeless population of San Diego

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't understand why there are so many people homeless and in need with all the churches and resources we are supposed to be privy to in this country. We have no homeless that are visable in my area.If someone is noticed to be homeless, people are very willing to help them get off the street. Even if the people are mentally ill, they still need to eat and a warm place to stay, I don't believe they will refuse that.

@blackhole99  If you do not have visible homeless people in your area then you might not understand the magnatude of the situation.

Social services, churches, and other resources can only do so much.

It is up to all of us to do something, no matter how small.   I hear people say "I pay taxes" so they won't give one penny.

A can of soup costs almost nothing to donate to a soup kitchen.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Another point is that homeless can also be invisible.  There are a lot of people who look perfectly normal, but after finding a church or soup kitchen during evening time, they head back to where they live, in their car.

Walmart has given permission to some of their stores to let the homeless living in cars or an SUV park overnight in their parking lots where a security guard is on durty.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't understand why there are so many people homeless and in need with all the churches and resources we are supposed to be privy to in this country. We have no homeless that are visable in my area.If someone is noticed to be homeless, people are very willing to help them get off the street. Even if the people are mentally ill, they still need to eat and a warm place to stay, I don't believe they will refuse that.

@blackhole99  If you do not have visible homeless people in your area then you might not understand the magnatude of the situation.

It is up to all of us to do something, no matter how small.   I hear people say "I pay taxes" so they won't give one penny.

Look, I'm not giving you people an argument or saying there are no homeless in my area or anywhere else. I can't believe how people will read things into someones comment and put their own spin on it. You don't have to convince me that there are homeless, I get it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Noel and Cakers said it so very well: So many of the homeless are invisible.

In my county, you would be hard pressed to find someone who knows that there is a trailer park in our county; one of the last around as most counties have fought hard (and won) to eliminate them. There is a stereotype of those that live in trailers and well....like all stereotypes, a few fit it but the majority don't. My sons volunteer at our local food pantry; our neighbors didn't know we had one. I've worked for years to help gather donations for new moms and babies who qualify for assistance; bottles, diapers, clothing, baby toys, a few books, a book for mom (What to Expect the First Year) plus much more. You would not believe the attitude I get from women (mothers themselves) who find this....distasteful. Even MORE so if the mother is homeless (I work with shelters and clinics; we're alerted to women who are pregnant/with children). People simply don't want to hear about it because, I guess to them, the situation doesn't exist.

Until everyone is on the same page regarding helping each other, those numbers are going to continue to grow. Sadly, I see the grandstanding and hear the rhetoric that seems to prevent this from happening. It's just......a mess. : (

Edited for grammar.

Honored Contributor

Just an FYI. a lot of people refuse to stay in a shelter for various reasons.  They would rather freeze on the streets.  We have homeless vans that drive around the city in winter offering clean blankets and donated coats.

Shelter problems include being robbed, especially robbed of their shoes, even when they wear them to sleep, and being sexually harassed.

Why do people expect churches to fix the problems?  Mental health professionals are needed, and most churches don’t have the money to continually feed hungry groups.

We are lucky enough to have the well known Glide Memorial church serving thousands.  SF has always had a lot of people who support charity giving.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Look, I'm not giving you people an argument or saying there are no homeless in my area or anywhere else. I can't believe how people will read things into someones comment and put their own spin on it. You don't have to convince me that there are homeless, I get it.

@blackhole99  I didn't say that you said you had no homeless in your area; I was referring to your remark that there are no visible homeless in your area..  Many of us do live in areas where the homeless are seen everywhere.

Seeing an occasional homeless person vs. seeing many on street corners are two different scenarios.

You took the rest of my post as a personal "spin" and it wasn't. 

I'm happy that your area has very few homeless to help out; that's a good thing.

But many of us do not, and the task to care for them can be overwhelming.

It's just a discussion; take what you want and let the rest be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Another point is that homeless can also be invisible.  There are a lot of people who look perfectly normal, but after finding a church or soup kitchen during evening time, they head back to where they live, in their car.

Walmart has given permission to some of their stores to let the homeless living in cars or an SUV park overnight in their parking lots where a security guard is on durty.

There are kids that go to school everyday who are homeless.  No one knows but the school and them.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919

You’re right. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Seattle is another "WELCOMING MAT" city for the homeless...

Seattle  taxes the people who live  in Seattle  TO DEATH that are real citizens  and work for a living.... to support  those who want to live off of the taxpayer. 

Hords of homeless move here to Seattle and many of them are mentally ill, felons and the like.  They pitch homeless camps  any where they want.....and leave there garbage  for others to clean up.  When offered help they do not want it.

It is really GREAT. 

Sounds just like San Francisco.  

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Seattle is another "WELCOMING MAT" city for the homeless...

Seattle  taxes the people who live  in Seattle  TO DEATH that are real citizens  and work for a living.... to support  those who want to live off of the taxpayer. 

Hords of homeless move here to Seattle and many of them are mentally ill, felons and the like.  They pitch homeless camps  any where they want.....and leave there garbage  for others to clean up.  When offered help they do not want it.

It is really GREAT. 

Sounds just like San Francisco.  

Oh, jeez, and here I had managed to put that comment out of my mind.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland