Honored Contributor

Re: HOmeless population of San Diego

I can't comment on those cities mentioned in this thread because it's been a LONG time since I've visited/lived in any of them...it hurts my heart, however, knowing how many are living on the streets for whatever reasons Life led them there.

I can, however, comment regarding Alaska (of all places) because of the work a very dear friend of ours is doing there for Veterans. Many years ago, he was working as a Social Worker in Philadelphia. An Irish Catholic and a product of a traditional household, he had many issues that he needed to work on and due to a Social Worker who helped him as a teen and young adult, he decided to give back to society. He went to Alaska with a co-worker and was shocked at the number of homeless Veterans/Veterans who were living in the wilderness out of choice. He stayed and joined others to assist these men (and occasionally women). As the years went by, he became so angry and frustrated with the system and the fact that he didn't see services that these Vets deserved being delivered, that he decided to change the system.... by becoming a lawyer. And so he did.

Today, he works with the ever-growing number of Vets in Alaska to assist them with housing, food, medical care but MOST importantly, mental health services. When he travels back to DC to speak on behalf of Vets, the #1 question he's asked is "Why do they go to Alaska?"

His answer? "Because they feel more comfortable being alone. They have the skills to survive in the wild (more often than not). They build a life for themselves and have found a community with others who have experienced what they have. And...they don't want to hurt anyone so where better than Alaska? "

Chilling and heartbreaking when you think about it. We applaud his efforts and support his work however we can.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

The homeless situation is worse in San Diego now due to the Hepatitus A outbreak which is going though this segment of the population.  The state is worried about this spreading to other cities and other segments of the population.

@esmeraldagooch, just to clarify: The outbreak is worse because of the growing numbers of those who are homeless.

If you know how the disease is spread, you can figure it out. When you don't have ready access to toilets and sanitation, therein lies the problem. I do believe that the affected cities are trying to solve that problem, but I'm sure that it is not easy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@SuziQ3:I read today that in some parts of San Diego (where homeless live and poop!) they have begun hosing down the sidewalks with a bleach solution 3 times a week!

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@SuziQ3:I read today that in some parts of San Diego (where homeless live and poop!) they have begun hosing down the sidewalks with a bleach solution 3 times a week!

Yes, they are.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I think there are homeless in all west coast American cities.  I don't know about other areas. They've always been with us, in our grandmothers' day they were called hobos.

There are more of them now, we have a larger population.  Many on the street are veterans who need help with PTSD and other medical issues.  Many are drug addicts.

Young people on the streets?  They were there in the 60s and many were gay kids their parents had kicked out of their homes.

There are ways to help, the Bay Area has new innovative plans, we're always trying.

I agree many homeless have addiction problems.  I am also sure gay kids were kicked out of their homes in the '60s.  

I do not agree that many of the homeless are veterans.  It's a huge problem, but not among veterans.

It's possible that people emphasize the veteran homeless because they think people will be more sympathetic to funding for veteran homeless.

I have to respectfully disagree with your comments about homeless vets.   There are many homeless vets in this country and they deserve better because they made a sacrifice at one time in their life for you and me to serve their country.    They are eligible for benefits but it's usually not enough for a roof over their heads.  I hope this explains why all of us should be more sympathetic for homeless vets.

Various cities across the country are installing communities made up of tiny homes.   Many of the homeless find living in a dorm setting (shelter) distasteful and sometimes dangerous.   The tiny houses will not go empty.  It will fill a need and provide dignity as well.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I think there are homeless in all west coast American cities.  I don't know about other areas. They've always been with us, in our grandmothers' day they were called hobos.

There are more of them now, we have a larger population.  Many on the street are veterans who need help with PTSD and other medical issues.  Many are drug addicts.

Young people on the streets?  They were there in the 60s and many were gay kids their parents had kicked out of their homes.

There are ways to help, the Bay Area has new innovative plans, we're always trying.

I agree many homeless have addiction problems.  I am also sure gay kids were kicked out of their homes in the '60s.  

I do not agree that many of the homeless are veterans.  It's a huge problem, but not among veterans.

It's possible that people emphasize the veteran homeless because they think people will be more sympathetic to funding for veteran homeless.

@stuyvesant

They do counts here every year in SF, as to homeless verterans.  You might want to ask pitdakota, I assume she has the stats.

Those who get housing for vets here are all checked and have ID cards for the veterans' hospital.  You may choose not to believe it, but it's not only on record, it's pretty common knowledge.

Here's one reason why:  Going back to the Gulf War, our troops suffered more head wounds than in earlier days.  If I remember correctly, the land mines caused many. At the same time, medical techniques and technology progressed and saved many who would have died in earlier times.  The result is that many, many came home with head wounds and PTSD.  Many, if not most of those, turned to drugs for self medication.  There's a lot written up about that in online news and medical reports if you are interested.

@Noel7 to add to your post, many vets of the gulf wars come back brain damaged but don't know it.    Just being near a bomb concussion can cause invisible brain damage, even if there are no visible wounds.   This brain damage is partly the cause of PTSD.    It's a very complicated issue and the VA was not capable of handling it.   They didn't understand how a vet can come home not wounded but have all kinds of problems such as emotional problems, flashbacks, being detached, depressed, headaches, insomnia and many more problems.

The vets are now getting better care in this category.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Yes, they are.

Santa Cruz has a similar hepatitis outbreak among its homeless. They are also trying out the program of paying the homeless to clean up the town, and it’s working and the homeless are happy about it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde...that sounds like a win/win situation in Santa Cruz. IMO, San Diego is a bit slow on putting plans into motion, but I guess anything is better than nothing regarding what they are doing.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Moonchilde...that sounds like a win/win situation in Santa Cruz. IMO, San Diego is a bit slow on putting plans into motion, but I guess anything is better than nothing regarding what they are doing.

@catwhisperer, IMO much has to do with the size of the town and its infrastructure - and the innate POV its governing bodies and councils have regarding social issues. Some states, some cities/counties have more interest than others to start with - and $$/tax base is always a factor. And sometimes there is infighting/disagreement on How To Deal that renders good peoples’ good ideas null :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Yes there are homeless people who want to stay as they are but a huge portion of homelessness are the mentally ill. They not only suffer from PTSD but from schizophrenia, bi-polar among many. They don't take their meds too which puts them in a vicious cycle of not being able totake care of themselves properly.

This is just a segment of the homeless.

Current and former drug addicts who may or may not suffer from a mental illness

Alcoholics or recovered  ones who may or may not suffer from a mental illness.

Veterans who may or may not suffer from a mental illness.

Down on their luck people who may or may not suffer from a mental illness.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson