Respected Contributor

Re: HOmeless population of San Diego

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom Seattle is bad as is Portland.I have Canadian friends who are very kind hearted but they say that the homeless issues will keep them from vacationing in those areas.you have to live it to know just how much of a problem it is.Seattle has many services for the homeless and I am sure that attracts more.They are going to have safe places for people to use drugs under the supervision of a nurse.There are shelters for these people but a lot prefer the streets where there are no rules to follow.It costs the city plenty to clean up behind them.My friends daughter had a couple of homeless people move an old motor home in front of her house to live in and the city won't do anything.

i don't see how we can continue to bring more people without resources into this country when we have so many Americans without means to care for themselves.

I do and being a refugee is not the same as being homeless except for the fact that it is the last thing in this world you want to become. 

Why is it so easy to blame refugees when they have nothing to do with problem?

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

We vacationed in Calif. about 6 or so years ago. Visited SD for the day and didn't see any homeless. My husbands niece visited this year and said she saw many homeless people. Not judging here, just saying what she told us.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"....thousands of them....swarm around.....and follow for a block or two"   Are you serious?

My neighbor said there was a big homeless problem on a hiking trail in our neighborhood as they're "all coming here because they got kicked out of the town next door"  I went last weekend with my teenage son.  Saw zero homeless people.  I'm going to go for a run today.  Ridiculous uninformed gossip.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple It can feel like there are more when you are in the situation..My DH and I were out for our nightly walk at 630 when we came across a couple of men fighting on the sidewalk. One was down on the ground and he an ice pick.He was asking for our help.I checked to be sur he was okay and called 911. It took a long time for the police to arrive and I was very afraid.One of the men seemed to be high and acting very itrrational.My DH would not come close and was very upset with me for standing beside the man with the ice pick.I can tell you I was very shaken up and according to my DH lucky that I wasn't hurt too.A couple of cars passing by stopped to make sure that WE were okay and I didn't even notice at the time.

Trusted Contributor

I was surprised to see so many young homeless people in Portland.  Some have their dogs with them sitting on the ground begging for money.  I live in the Las Vegas area and we have a large population of homeless and many are mentally ill.  I used to volunteer at the LV Rescue Mission at the Women's Shelter.  I would be there in the evening checking in women and their children for overnight stay.  It was heartbreaking.  Many of the teens would actually go to school the next morning.

Honored Contributor

They are lost souls , be it drugs, mental illness,what is the answer?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@JaneMarple It can feel like there are more when you are in the situation..My DH and I were out for our nightly walk at 630 when we came across a couple of men fighting on the sidewalk. One was down on the ground and he an ice pick.He was asking for our help.I checked to be sur he was okay and called 911. It took a long time for the police to arrive and I was very afraid.One of the men seemed to be high and acting very itrrational.My DH would not come close and was very upset with me for standing beside the man with the ice pick.I can tell you I was very shaken up and according to my DH lucky that I wasn't hurt too.A couple of cars passing by stopped to make sure that WE were okay and I didn't even notice at the time.

@dex I have never doubted that situations like yours have and still happen. I'm so glad that you and your husband were not harmed in any way.

I just can't stand the generalizations and exaggerations from many of those posting on this thread.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

I do not live in San Diego, however I travel there 2 times a year as my dr. is there. I was last there this summer.

I stay in a high tourist area in Little Italy. I travel all over SD while there.  

Have I seen homeless people in the area's I have been in yes. By the thousands NO.

A person or two here and there. Once walked passed a park where there were a few homeless gathered, they never even looked in our direction.

I have never once been approached by anyone. My husband and I walk all over while we are there. I find San Diego a very friendly city and everyone says hello to you.  I never felt anything but safe there.

I totally believe you!!