Respected Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET YOUR KIDS TO DO CHORES

The premise of this scenario is that the parents have absconded with all their children's cell phones. That in itself would be impossible since they are permanently attached.

Respected Contributor

From the time they could walk, they WERE told what to do.......no arguing, no bribes, no deals. We were the adults and they were the children.....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

While that is super cute here is how my mom got my sister and I to do our chores.

Our Mom:  Neither one of you are leaving the house until your chores are done.  

Us:  Okay.

Period. No discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good one @Lindsays Grandma 😂

I remember doing chores around the house simply because I loved my parents, knew how hard they worked outside the home, and wanted to make things easier for them.  Dusting, vacuuming, dishes, taking out trash, and yard work were ways to show how much I appreciated them.  I was blessed to have kids who didn't need any needling to get them to do chores, and I hope their future kids will be the same way.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

My Mom was a stay at home Mom so we really didn't help around the house until we were teenagers. I think it's good to teach kids from an early age to pick up after themselves and keep things neat and clean. That being said, my son never did chores, but he never messed anything up, he was the easiest child to raise and turned out to be a decent human being. I think you gotta do what works for your family. I would not want to be raising kids today.

Esteemed Contributor

In my day, you were art of the family, we all had some small chore and no allowance.   This was was a depression era.   

years later, my kids got a small allowance, but you did chores and homework before you went out to play or make one call to a friend.   You are the parent, not them.  

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Nothing better than watching a two or three year old, sweeping with toy broom and dust pan. 

Helping mom at an early age is gratifying for mom and, better yet, for the child, too.

Making their own bed, etc. 

'Every little bit helps'.

@ROMARY   Agree so much with this post.  I still have my DS's little dust pan and broom.

Even the little sticker with his name and 2 stickers of animals are still on it!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva:

'Funny' how we followed orders in those days.

No whining, arguing, etc.

'No was No', and 'That was that' !!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I don’t see what the big deal is. When my son was real little I taught him how to make his bed. As he got older I added more chores that were age appropriate. When he got to the point where he was given an allowance he was told he had to earn it by completing his chores,period.

If kids aren’t doing their chores their parents need to rethink their strategy.Because what they’re doing isn’t working!! 

Honored Contributor

Just two days ago, walking past a house/family.

Dad was outside with his two-year-old (or so) daughter...........She was 'sweeping' their driveway.

So cute!  

She seemed so very proud of herself, especially when I said 'Good job'.  'It's so nice that you're helping your Dad', etc., etc.

Big smile from this precious toddler!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).