Honored Contributor

Re: HOW TAINTED DRUGS ARE GETTING PAST THE FDA.Carcinogens Have Infiltrated the Generic Drug Supply.

QVC Customer Care

Re: HOW TAINTED DRUGS ARE GETTING PAST THE FDA.Carcinogens Have Infiltrated the Generic Drug Supply.

Honored Contributor

This has been going on since the 1970's.  The doctor I worked for back then would not prescribe any generic medicines, especially antibiotics (at that time the ones from Italy were the worst).  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

This has been going on since the 1970's.  The doctor I worked for back then would not prescribe any generic medicines, especially antibiotics (at that time the ones from Italy were the worst).  

I remember those days. In the past doctors would be allowed to write prescriptions for name-brand drugs and order "no generic substitution." And often they did. Doctors can't do that anymore. Insurance companies use pharmaceutical management companies that require pharmacies to substitute generics when available. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I remember those days. In the past doctors would be allowed to write prescriptions for name-brand drugs and order "no generic substitution." And often they did. Doctors can't do that anymore. Insurance companies use pharmaceutical management companies that require pharmacies to substitute generics when available. 

In Florida, doctors can still order no generic substitution but the allows patients to make the choice which one to use. The law does not force insurance companies to pay for the non generic meds, so if patients chose them, they are usually on their own when it cipimes to paying for them. This choice thing isn’t bad. I know that if I really need the original medicine I can still get it. Pharmacies here will also order some generics for patients that are made by alternate generic manufacturers. 

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@AuntMame wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

In Florida, doctors can still order no generic substitution but the allows patients to make the choice which one to use. The law does not force insurance companies to pay for the non generic meds, so if patients chose them, they are usually on their own when it cipimes to paying for them. This choice thing isn’t bad. I know that if I really need the original medicine I can still get it. Pharmacies here will also order some generics for patients that are made by alternate generic manufacturers. 

That's interesting. A couple years back my doc wrote a prescription for a non-generic. The pharmacy told me my insurance wouldn't cover it and it would cost me $500/month out of pocket, as opposed to a $50/month out-of-pocket for a generic substitution that my insurance would cover. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  Everyone should read this aritcle and be informed.  Our meds should NOT be tainted. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FDA inspectors are not paid well. Who would want that job, especially after having go through college then have loans to pay back. Then to travel or live in a foreign country on top of that...I don't think so. No wonder they can't find more help.