Honored Contributor

Re: HOW MUCH DOES A HANDYMAN GET PAID

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I know people with master's degrees that don't make $50 an hour.

My brother does maintenance and he charges $20 an hour.

Well..where do you live?  That makes all the difference.  Where I live, gardening and housekeeping rates start at $25/hour 

Respected Contributor

Yes, we really need to know where OP lives.  Not exact location of course, but at least a hint.

Also, Is the OP hiring the guy or is the complex already paying him?

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter what other people make. She asked us for a fair price, and this person is doing a lot of heavy work. They could hurt their back. They are doing it all alone

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

It doesn't matter what other people make. She asked us for a fair price, and this person is doing a lot of heavy work. They could hurt their back. They are doing it all alone

Yes, but a fair price still depends on where she lives.  Here a fair price would be $20-$25 an hour.  Rent here for a nice one bedroom apartment with water and trash service paid is only $300 a month.  Beauticians only charge $40 for a hair color, cut and style.  You need to compare depending on where she lives.  That should give you an idea that things including wages is cheaper in a rural area.

Esteemed Contributor

A BIG job like this should have a set price instead of paying him by the hour.  He is doing a LOT of hard work by himself. 

He deserves at  the very least, $200.00.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

In the original post you wrote "The maintenance man from my apartment." It sounds like he already has a job there. Why not ask him what his hourly wage is and go from there? Personally, $50 an hour to move clothes and furniture seems like a ridiculously high rate to me. I know I wouldn't pay that, but that's just me. 

It seems like something the two of you should have agreed on in advance, but again, that's just me. It sounds like he's a reasonable man so that's a good thing. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

i was going to say $20-$25 an hour. $50 an hour seems a bit high to me.

are you paying him in cash? just wondering if he is claiming it on his taxes or not?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

In the original post you wrote "The maintenance man from my apartment." It sounds like he already has a job there. Why not ask him what his hourly wage is and go from there? Personally, $50 an hour to move clothes and furniture seems like a ridiculously high rate to me. I know I wouldn't pay that, but that's just me. 

It seems like something the two of you should have agreed on in advance, but again, that's just me. It sounds like he's a reasonable man so that's a good thing. Good luck to you!

Don't forget that he is tearing up and disposing the carpet while moving heavy furniture.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I have a handyman he charges me by the "project" not hourly. I live in over 55 community (own not rent) so I would think since he's from your maintenance shop a fair price to me would be $20/hr.

Plus I'm sure it's a lot of work because it took me 4 days to clear and pack up things when I had total new flooring put in my home.  It's a big job, but, for me it was a good time to purge excess!

(and I did it 2x's the jerk 😡who installed the carpeting from Lowes forgot to put padding in certain areas - you'd trip over a ledge in the carpet....and laid the nap in different directions!!! After 7 months Lowes agreed to replace the carpeting with a new installer😊)

Honored Contributor

Seems to me that he's doing the work of two handymen/movers.  I'd pay him $50 an hour.  And I'd tell him to be careful, and not rush.  Better to take it slow to prevent any injuries. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).