Honored Contributor

HOW DO YOU RECYCLE GLASS ANYTHING?

I have some old candle jars and glass bottles I want to recycle. 

If I just toss them into the recycling bin, they will shatter.  

I was thinking I'd place them in a plastic produce bag so when the glass breaks, it's still all together.

Any suggestions?  TIA!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU RECYCLE GLASS ANYTHING?

They're going to break once they get dumped into the garbage truck. 

Around here they don't want plastic bags mixed in.

Valued Contributor

I would wrap them in newspaper or brown paper bags and put them in a box if you have one.

Esteemed Contributor

Our recycling is a bit strict where we are.  Though I think we can throw old candle jars in the bin but they have to be cleaned out first.  That can be a job in itself.  We recycle as much as we possibly can but it surprises me how many things are still allowed in the regular trash.  Breaking doesn't matter as anything glass will most likely break when being dumped in the truck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 We are no longer allowed to recycle glass as part of home pick-up as of a few months ago, and I do not know why, but can still take it to our local recycling centers where glass is accepted!🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

All glass, cans, paper and flattened cardboard can go in one recycle bin in our town.  They specifically state Do Not place recyclables in plastic bags. They will not pick up the bin if they see plastic bags.  It gums up the conveyor belts at the facility.  Just place them in your bin.

Respected Contributor

Go to your town's recycle website or call sanitation. There are different rules for glass recycling depending where you live. It is possible they want you to throw it in the regular garbage.

Honored Contributor

we have mixed recycling curb pickup weekly. you cannot put in plastic bags or yard waste or paper containers with food products on them, including pizza boxes. they give us a list every year of what is or isnt acceptable.

i throw glass in my recycling bin, but if you are worried about it breaking, put it into a paper bag. mine doesnt get broken, but i dont know what happens once it gets into the truck.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I toss my glass bottles into my paper shopping bags that I use for all recycling. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Our county gives us one bin in which we put both plastic and glass.  If you put a plastic bag around your glass and put that in the bin, the whole thing goes one of 2 ways --  into the general garbage or you carry it all back into your house.   

We have separate bings for recycling paper.  

Again the rules are easy and clear.

Wherever you live - follow the rules set by whoever is responsible for the recycling.  It's likely some taxing authority because few private recyclers can afford to collect what they can't sell and most of the countries that loved our trash now have too much of their own to want ours.