Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,520
Registered: ‎03-30-2014

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?

When this first came out, I recall reading that it has to be in close contact for a long time.  Maybe 2" for 20 mins???  Then you move it over 1".

 

Right 👎🏻

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,319
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@Grouchomarx wrote:

This is the same as wondering if Lysol wipes, Clorox wipes, virucidal cleaning agents etc work. We trust the science behind it and UV light is well known to kill germs when used as directed. You cannot expose yourself to it. It is very damaging to eyes and skin. 


@Grouchomarx 

 

Good point.   Can't wait until all these considerations are in the past.  But I think it's going to take awhile.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,276
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?

I wouldn't waste my money on those. Just a quick wave over everything and it's all cleansed?  No, don't think so.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,292
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@Still Raining wrote:

When this first came out, I recall reading that it has to be in close contact for a long time.  Maybe 2" for 20 mins???  Then you move it over 1".

 

Right 👎🏻


I can't remember right now, but I think it is 20 seconds.  Even so, can you imagine how long it would take to sanitize a King size bet at 20 seconds per area?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,319
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@Icegoddess wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

When this first came out, I recall reading that it has to be in close contact for a long time.  Maybe 2" for 20 mins???  Then you move it over 1".

 

Right 👎🏻


I can't remember right now, but I think it is 20 seconds.  Even so, can you imagine how long it would take to sanitize a King size bet at 20 seconds per area?


 

@Icegoddess 

 

It would take a couple days to sanitize a king sized bed, LOL.   Seriously, I think it's for small things like sunglasses or a phone.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,319
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@MoJoV wrote:

I wouldn't waste my money on those. Just a quick wave over everything and it's all cleansed?  No, don't think so.

 

 

@MoJoV 

 

Even if you could take the wand and have a Before and After test at a reliable lab, the manufacturer could say Whoops, you got a defective one ... here's a replacement.   No way to assure reliability.


Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,026
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@ginirn wrote:

I agree.  Retired nurse here.  UV light can be used to sanitize however there is also a time factor.  waving it over the item a second of two does not sanitize it. they need to have lab studies to support the claims


Exactly right. Time is critical. Most of my UV light experience is from the aquarium hobby, and the more effective UV lights are longer and need a low water flow rate through them to be effective. Contact time, proximity to the light, intensity of the light, and more are all factors in whether UV light is an effective sterilizer. A UV light held a foot away from an object may be ineffective, but the same light held an inch from the object may work great.

 

If I was an opportunistic sort, I'd cobble together a mask that used UV light to 'sterilze' the air you breathe. I might add a heating element also to warm the air since the virus seemingly spreads more in colder air. Would either be effective? Probably not, but you could sell a gazillion of the masks before anyone found out.  Make them rechargeable, have a disposable filter element also and you'd sell them by the millions.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,319
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@gardenman wrote:

@ginirn wrote:

I agree.  Retired nurse here.  UV light can be used to sanitize however there is also a time factor.  waving it over the item a second of two does not sanitize it. they need to have lab studies to support the claims


Exactly right. Time is critical. Most of my UV light experience is from the aquarium hobby, and the more effective UV lights are longer and need a low water flow rate through them to be effective. Contact time, proximity to the light, intensity of the light, and more are all factors in whether UV light is an effective sterilizer. A UV light held a foot away from an object may be ineffective, but the same light held an inch from the object may work great.

 

If I was an opportunistic sort, I'd cobble together a mask that used UV light to 'sterilze' the air you breathe. I might add a heating element also to warm the air since the virus seemingly spreads more in colder air. Would either be effective? Probably not, but you could sell a gazillion of the masks before anyone found out.  Make them rechargeable, have a disposable filter element also and you'd sell them by the millions.


 

@gardenman 

 

You've nailed it .... just too many unknowns ... thanks for your input.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎02-02-2019

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@MoJoV wrote:

I wouldn't waste my money on those. Just a quick wave over everything and it's all cleansed?  No, don't think so.


I wouldn't either @MoJoV.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,319
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?


@izzybee wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I wouldn't waste my money on those. Just a quick wave over everything and it's all cleansed?  No, don't think so.


I wouldn't either @MoJoV.

 


@izzybee  @MoJoV 

 

Me, either.