Honored Contributor

HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?

Okay, I think most of us have seen the sanitizer wands, sanitizer boxes, etc etc advertised in various places. 

Sounds good .... but just HOW do we know the thing is actually sanitized?  How do we know the wand is working?  

Maybe I'm missing something here ....   but what do you think?   Not all the manufacturers for these devices are large companies with familiar names.     

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SANITIZER WAND WORKS?

You don't.  That's the great thing ... you have to trust what they say.  LOL.  Not me.  I ain't buying it.

Trusted Contributor

That is exactly why I've never purchased one.  Sad because supposedly the science is sound and I recently heard from a doctor speaking in an interview that there are light bulbs you can buy for the home, schools and other locales that kill covid.  I'm wondering though how that can be good for the skin as I thought the uv-c was the version dangersous.  I know that hospitals that use UV-c in their operating rooms don't allow anyone in there.  All very unclear. 

Respected Contributor

This is the same as wondering if Lysol wipes, Clorox wipes, virucidal cleaning agents etc work. We trust the science behind it and UV light is well known to kill germs when used as directed. You cannot expose yourself to it. It is very damaging to eyes and skin. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

You don't.  That's the great thing ... you have to trust what they say.  LOL.  Not me.  I ain't buying it.

@rms1954 

LOL ...  Woman LOL

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Okay, I think most of us have seen the sanitizer wands, sanitizer boxes, etc etc advertised in various places. 

Sounds good .... but just HOW do we know the thing is actually sanitized?  How do we know the wand is working?  

Maybe I'm missing something here ....   but what do you think?   Not all the manufacturers for these devices are large companies with familiar names.     

you don't

playing to paranoia,

"people" want an easy fix 

Honored Contributor

I'd trust whether the wan works after researching it and the seller.  If you're talking about the guy on Shop HQ, him, I don't trust.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Well, you can conduct your own scientific experiment, by getting a couple of Petri dishes, Sean the item before it is sanitized by the wand, and after it is sanitized, and compare the spores.

Is there more in one?

Are they the same?

Science!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Regular Contributor

I agree.  Retired nurse here.  UV light can be used to sanitize however there is also a time factor.  waving it over the item a second of two does not sanitize it. they need to have lab studies to support the claims

Respected Contributor

@ginirn wrote:

I agree.  Retired nurse here.  UV light can be used to sanitize however there is also a time factor.  waving it over the item a second of two does not sanitize it. they need to have lab studies to support the claims

I agree with you, they make it seem like it's just a quick wave over and it's done, which is not the case. I don't think the wands are good for using in public when you need instant germ killing. Alcohol wipes make much more sense to me. I do have a little UVc box I use at home for the phone and keys and it's a 5 minute cycle.