Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW CAN I MAKE A SOFA BED SLEEPER

A number of years ago, I saw in a catalog a "board" that was meant to be placed on top of the mattress frame of a sofa bed.  It folded in thirds to make it easier to store.  It was also covered in a plastic material so no raw edges, slivers, etc., that plywood may have.

I don't remember the catalog or exactly what this board was called, but perhaps if you googled it or looked on Amazon you could find a similar product.

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue Was it a bunkie board? I have used one on a trundle bed, but I don't know if they come in a folding style? I do know they are available in different sizes for those who don't want box springs.

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

@DottieBlue Was it a bunkie board? I have used one on a trundle bed, but I don't know if they come in a folding style? I do know they are available in different sizes for those who don't want box springs.

I'm sorry, I don't remember if that was it or not.  But I remember that it was specifically designed for placing on the "springs" of sofa beds to help make them more comfortable.

They also had smaller ones to place underneath the cushions to firm up the seats on sofas and upholstered chairs.

Whether these actually worked or not, I have no idea.

Honored Contributor

I honestly wouldn't put adult guests up on a sofa bed. It's fine for kids and teens and maybe younger adults. I'd give them my own bed first. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

more comfortable?  We bought the best gel mattress and I have a padded mattress cover.  It still isn't like sleeping on a bed.  I had a queen bed in the guest room, but it was used less than a month a year and it took up most of the room.  I opted for a sofa sleeper and that solved the need for extra room, but.....

Is there a solution or am I stuck with an uncomfortable bed for quests?

My DH has suggested going to an upholstery shop and buy a thick pad.  ????

I'm not sure if you actually have a memory foam mattress, or something else?   When I was building my home and all my furniture was in storage, I bought a sofa bed with a memory foam mattress.  ( at lazy Boy...three mattress choices). I slept on it in my rental for six months and found it to be very comfortable.  

it now lives in my office and I don't mind having guests use it, because I've tested it myself.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Rather than doing the garage thing for the board, why not cover it with a velour type blanket in a great color and stand it upright behind the sofa bed.   We did that for a king mattress bed that had no headboard and it looked great.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Rather than doing the garage thing for the board, why not cover it with a velour type blanket in a great color and stand it upright behind the sofa bed.   We did that for a king mattress bed that had no headboard and it looked great.

@jlkz 

That's a great idea! Woman Happy ...and a perfect storage solution.

Trusted Contributor

I always had sofa beds until my most recent sofa.  Had to go with something lighter that I could move myself.

Got an air mattress with an electric pump and it has come in so handy.  Also it is put away out of sight when not in use.