Esteemed Contributor

HOW CAN I MAKE A SOFA BED SLEEPER

more comfortable?  We bought the best gel mattress and I have a padded mattress cover.  It still isn't like sleeping on a bed.  I had a queen bed in the guest room, but it was used less than a month a year and it took up most of the room.  I opted for a sofa sleeper and that solved the need for extra room, but.....

Is there a solution or am I stuck with an uncomfortable bed for quests?

My DH has suggested going to an upholstery shop and buy a thick pad.  ????

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: HOW CAN I MAKE A SOFA BED SLEEPER

You can't. Sofa beds are notoriously uncomfortable no matter how much padding you put on them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sofa beds have always had a bad reputation - unfortunately

Problem I see -- -  the foundation isn't what a box spring  is...........hard base due to all the mechanical folding gear.

Can you add an air mattress on the bed?

Honored Contributor

When I had a sofa bed my husband at that time cut a piece of plywood to put under the mattress. That took care of the lumpy-bumpy foundation plus we added a foam topper on top of the mattress, too. Came out very comfy. We just had to store that piece of plywood in the garage until we needed it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several years ago we bought a firm mattress.  (I have a lower back problem.)  It proved to be a very good investment but after a few years, I felt I wanted a little padding.  We bought a 3" memory foam topper and that did the trick.  Very happy with the results!

Edited to add:  Love your sig!  ❤

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Call your dealer and have them fix it.  There are things they can do.  A memory foam topper would probably help.  I've got a queen that feels just like a bed so it can be done. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I bought a water bed/adjustable bed/foam toppers/soft mattress/hard mattress, and!  My recliners have been the only source that allow me to sleep comfortably and not have to roll off of a bed/try to straighten up/'then stumbling before I am loose enough to walk.

Been through several, but tried each one out before buying. Now have 2 with electric footrest and upper back/neck. 

Unless guests are long term visitors, a good recliner, is probably more comfortable than a hotel bed. Remember, comfortable for you, doesn't always translate into comfortable for others! At least with a good recliner(ours were $600) you can adjust them. A mattress, unless it is an adjustable or Sleep Number, not much to adjust.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get a foam topper for it. There's an article from Good Housekeeping that has a list of ten. You might have to store the topper somewhere when it's not in use. Tempurpedic has one for a couple hundred dollars. I have not tried this one. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Sofa beds have always had a bad reputation - unfortunately

Problem I see -- -  the foundation isn't what a box spring  is...........hard base due to all the mechanical folding gear.

Can you add an air mattress on the bed?

This is what we did.  When our son had surgery last year, DH and I moved into his home for few weeks to cook, drive him to therapy and doctor appointments, do laundry, etc.  He doesn't have a guest bedroom set up yet but he does have a sofa bed in his family room.  We bought an air mattress with a built-in motor for inflating.  We put the sofa cushions in the gap between the mattress and the back of the sofa, then made it up like a regular bed with a mattress pad, sheets, and blankets, and it was surprisingly comfortable - so much more than laying on a sofa bed mattress and feeling that bar all night long. Just don't let any pets on the mattress or they will poke a hole in it.    

Honored Contributor

Take the mattress off and put it on the floor.  Better than on the sleeper at least!