Valued Contributor

My daughter home schooled my two grandchildren for the first 18 years of their lives. They then went to private colleges. They are now leaders in their respective fields and have a grasp of knowledge that few have today. I just wanted to let you know of a phenomenon that is taking hold across the nation. Since the teacher's unions have decided not to go back into the classroom, many families are hiring teachers privately to teach small groups of children in their homes. In Texas now the standard appears to be groups of about 6-8 children being taught from approved curricula in neighborhood homes. This is not a political post. It is simply an alternative solution for the documented problems arising from kids being kept in isolation, and falling seriously behind in their education.

Super Contributor

Our 2 oldest Granddaughters were also home schooled. One has her BS and the other gets hers this May. They did well as far as I can tell. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HOME SCHOOLING

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure I see the connection between preferring to home school children and the current pod situation. I think the latter is less a preference and more a matter of innovation during this crisis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the other hand, I have a couple of neighbors that have always  home school their children for religious reasons.    Both of the moms are marginally educated and don't seem to have much of a grasp on what's going on in the world.  Makes me wonder what kind of quality education they're getting. They seem to spend a lot of time outside playing during school days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A phenomenon I strongly support.  

Respected Contributor

It is happening all over the country. There is nothing like small group instruction. There are so many studies that show children are learning better in small groups. I so respect anyone that home schools. The only downfall to small group instruction is that you have to be able to pay for it. I think one outcome of this pandemic is that there will be many alternatives  to traditional schools.

Honored Contributor

Our schools have been on split days, some in classroom and some at home. Should be back to school full time in about a month. Catholic schools here have never shut down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 :  I concur completely with your pov.  If the teacher doesn't have the knowledge, how can they teach?  If someone is a college grad ( no matter the subject) they more likely than not can teach if they are sufficiently motivated to put in the homework necessary.  I have many friends on FB, from other places/ careers in my life, who have a very narrow world view; thankfully, these people ( obviously not all my friends), have the good sense to have others educate their kids.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

My daughter home schooled my two grandchildren for the first 18 years of their lives. They then went to private colleges. They are now leaders in their respective fields and have a grasp of knowledge that few have today. I just wanted to let you know of a phenomenon that is taking hold across the nation. Since the teacher's unions have decided not to go back into the classroom, many families are hiring teachers privately to teach small groups of children in their homes. In Texas now the standard appears to be groups of about 6-8 children being taught from approved curricula in neighborhood homes. This is not a political post. It is simply an alternative solution for the documented problems arising from kids being kept in isolation, and falling seriously behind in their education.

While your grandchildren fared well being home schooled, I don't know if all children are in the situation.  I've seen the opposite - as @Kachina624 described in her post.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You seem to be contradicting yourself.  On one side you point out how valuable homeschooling was to your grandchildren, and on the other side you criticize unions protecting their staff and say parents should hire private teachers (?!).

First, I completely support anybody who feels unsafe being in public, especially teachers. We are in a pandemic and nothing is completely known.  Being a member of a union gives teachers strength to make group decisions and not be subject to unhealthy choices.  Everybody is suffering in this quarantine experience---teachers, students and parents, but nobody is at fault nor should be blamed.

Second, I support homeschooling for those parents who have the time, funds, and knowledge to offer those programs.  Homeschooling allows for creativity and flexibility. However, most adults cannot teach diverse content matter past the eighth grade, and therefore have to access online support systems which will offer advanced classes, so it is really an online "village" educating the "homeschooled" children. 

In our state there are many fulltime online public school options for children, including charter schools, so students can be at home and interact with fulltime teachers and classmates all day in a public school experience.  That is what is happening right now for many schools, and it is just a temporary experience, but a lot of people truly miss the personal and social interactions.

FInally, I feel a bit sad for those teachers working in homes.  They are probably underpaid, are receiving no strong benefits or retirement services, and are at the whim of parents.  Yet, I know they may need the money or the experience, so I wish them safe health.

If a child is falling seriously behind in his/her education, it is mainly the responsibility of the parents to find a solution, just as they would if their local school was a bad fit, or if the homeschooling experience was also making the child feel socially isolated. 

However, in this case getting everyone vaccinated will be the the real solution we all need.