Honored Contributor

HOLIDAY SHOPPING & LOCAL STORES!!! GOOD NEWS!

[ Edited ]

Where will consumers do their holiday shopping this year?

BY DEENA M. AMATO-MCCOYSeptember 26, 2018

Consumers have no intention of exclusively shopping online this holiday season.

•  

In fact, a majority (88%) plan to shop in stores this holiday season, according to the “In-Store Holiday Shopping” study from Natural Insight, a cloud-based retail execution and workforce management platform provider.

These in-store shoppers will encompass both women and men, and mostly those in younger generations. For example, 88% of 18-29 year- olds said they will shop in stores this holiday season (an 8% increase from 2017), along with 92% of 30-44 year-olds – a 6% increase from last year. More than half (55%) of consumers said they opt to shop in stores so they can browse and find new gift ideas.

Forty-seven percent of consumers plan to do their holiday shopping in November, a 10% jump from last year. When it comes to finishing up, women aren’t the only ones who will be wrapping gifts early. This year, 46% of men intend to complete the majority of their holiday shopping before December, versus only 35% last year.

Overall, 54% of shoppers expect to spend less than $250 in stores this year. Of those who do plan on spending more, men will be the big spenders, with 19% planning to shell out more than $500.

Even though they are headed to the stores this holiday season, some shoppers are not looking forward to the experience. In fact, 65% of customers listed large crowds being the top reason why in-store shopping is stressful. Not being able to find what they are looking for was named a close second (49%), according to the study.

“The survey results highlight the significance of providing an exceptional in-store experience to drive foot traffic and sales this holiday shopping season,” said Stefan Midford, CEO and president of Natural Insight. “Today’s consumers exist in a world that moves at an unparalleled pace, and retailers need to embrace changing consumer needs and be prepared for early holiday shoppers to remain competitive.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Re: HOLIDAY SHOPPING & LOCAL STORES!!! GOOD NEWS!

That is good news...I love getting out at the holidays and shopping in the stores...love the decorations, music, people, etc...I like online shopping too, they both have their place.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Interesting stats -  I think retailers are trying to make in-store more competitive and that's good for me -  I am definitely more b&m than online.

I do wonder where all the stores and delivery services are going to find good workers what with unemployment in many areas actually quite low.  Maybe some workers will be able to improve their income by jumping off one ship and heading in a new direction.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

Interesting stats -  I think retailers are trying to make in-store more competitive and that's good for me -  I am definitely more b&m than online.

I do wonder where all the stores and delivery services are going to find good workers what with unemployment in many areas actually quite low.  Maybe some workers will be able to improve their income by jumping off one ship and heading in a new direction.

@millieshops

Yep, I read where some areas are going to be hard pressed to find holiday workers....

For those that buy a large amount of gifts....I would shop EARLY both online and in store!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I'm already done shopping for Christmas...some online & some locally.

Honored Contributor

@SpurtYears ago when I first started my snowbird life and knew only a few people in the area, I considered working a few hours a week just to meet new people.  But then my life filled in and now there's not much chance at all I'd apply for a holiday position - especially because being offered a discount would probably end up costing me everything I earned and more!

Honored Contributor

I always wonder where these statistics come from.  I will likely shop on line.  Whatever I do, it will be done by thanksgiving.  

Valued Contributor

80% of my Xmas shopping was done at Tjmaxx, Macy's,Dillard's. .My daughter-in law and her mother love silk scarves.Got 2 great deals at Tjmaxx yesterday,along with a Invicta watch for my son.

Only things I will be ordering on line is Carol's Daughter hair products for my daughter--in-law and Korres for my son from HSN.

My Chrismas list is  also small,sister,brother,sons,and daughter-in-law, grandchild,and 3 close friends.Also I will purchase gift cards for family and close friends for their favorite retail store or restaurants..

Also something for the mailman who loves Starbucks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless stores are willing to spend the money on staff who can offer customer service, there is little reason most shoppers have to go into brick and mortar stores if they can get the same merchandise online.  Customer service is still expected by most shoppers when they are inside a store. It has become a thing of the past in most places, so shoppers don't feel they are missing out when they buy online.

Respected Contributor

So many of our local  B and M stores have closed that I used to enjoy. I feel forced to shop on line or travel two hours to shop. It is easier to shop on line.