Esteemed Contributor

HLN report on churches/ Seriousness of this situation

I just saw on HLN, a story on this pandemic. They were talking about how so many churches are doing like a drive in, or online services.

Then they showed video of a church in Baton Rouge, (I think), where this past Sunday, they had over 1,000 people there and they were packed in like sardines.  God gave me a little bit of sense and I am staying away from folks. When I take stuff to my parents, I leave it on the porch. If one of them happens to be out, we yell at each other from afarSmiley Happy

I missed part of this story, but I sure thought this was illegal. Maybe the authorites are strongly suggesting not to do it. 

I mentioned it on another thread, when I have gone by Lowe's twice this week, the parking lot was full. Same thing at Tractor Supply and when I picked up my groceries at Wal Mart, they weren't hurting for in store customers either. Are some people just thinking they won't get this? I don't have underlying health issues that would affect me, but I'm over 50 and I don't want to get sick, with this or anything else. 

Also, my dh is working, and I am keeping him at a distance. He says I'm being ridiculous. Well, I don't feel ridiculous. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HLN report on churches/ Seriousness of this situation

Drive by confessions for us Catholics.  They interviewed a local priest who is happy to do it because the clergy is getting "lonely" although GA is not under a shelter in place and never will be.  The locals have demanded no more than 10 people gatherings in most places so the churches are effectively closed. 

I've never done the Act of Contrition in a moving vehicle except in a bout of road rage and now the priest knows exactly who you are too.  No privacy shade.  Smiley LOL

The LA preacher is an outlier who actually said that if anyone gets the virus he will do a laying on of hands to "cure" them and drive the evil out.  I won't comment on that out of respect for freedom of religion but Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat,  I have not heard of any locality that has restricted the number of shoppers an essential business can allow in at one time.  That would lead to appointment shopping and exacerbate an already difficult situation.

People would be more apt to over buy so they can avoid having to schedule a shopping trip and many people would be forced to wait who knows how long to be able to get a shopping appointment.  It would be equivalent to the delays many online grocery shoppers are experiencing when trying to schedule deliveries.

Taking the social distancing recommendations seriously is one thing but it has to be tempered with reason.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat   I did not see the HLN report that you are speaking about but did read on line that a large church (do not know the location) did not cancel services beacuse he thought the government was trying to squash their religious rights!!

I guess he received a lot of very negative, nasty feed back.  He did apologize and is now stream services....

The government is not always our enemy, he's a knucklehead!

Esteemed Contributor

Here in NJ we have the second highest number of reported cases of CV. Churches in some areas are locked. Not even open for a funeral. Some hospitals are allowing no one in for births except the mother- not even the father..

I would not know. I have been out to the ATM and to pick up food from the drive-thru window. Did not leave my car. Now I am not even doing that. Just walking the dog and walking solo as the weather allows, which has been hit or miss.

Sometimes it's not all about us. We would all do well to listen to those who are trying to help us. If schools, businesses and most houses of worship are closed with no end in sight, how much more serious must things get for people to understand the gravity of the situation? Plus, you and your family can certainly pray at home or view services online or even on TV. C'mon.

Honored Contributor

@Marp   Some of the stores are abiding by the no more than 10 people rule which is how they are limiting shoppers in and out.  I've seen that only in smaller stores where that can be controlled.

Esteemed Contributor

It is NOT illegal for people to congregate in groups larger than ten.

There is no  law that says that people must not be in large groups.

It is just strongly suggested that people keep their distance from each other, but that does not mean that it is law.

I'm sorry that you are so scared, that you won't even touch your husband.

in that aspect, I agree with him.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat

No, those people aren't "thinking they won't get this [COVID-19]." They are probably informed enough to know that they're among the vast majority on this planet who WILL get it. And will shake it off or otherwise survive it.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@happycatRidiculous?   Not in my thinking.

I find myself quite happy to be alone right now.  I know what I've cleaned and I know where I've been in the last 14 days..  That's the extent of the control we have as individuals.

I'm not shopping for anything except food, meds, and maybe gasoline unless an emergency arises until the curve in my area is flattening.  Right now, we're on a steep rise and that's with virtually no testing being started or finishing -  even tests done on hospitalized, seriously ill patients in my county are not being returned.  In today's paper is the story of one patient so ill she's in an induced coma and her test is 12 days old now with no results yet.  

Do I feel safe?  Not at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Marp

At most grocery stores around here you have to wait outside in the line to get in. They are only allowing a certain number of people in the store at any one time. When one person comes out, one person from the line can go in. It’s been that way for over a week. Last week I stood outside Ralphs for about 30 minutes, waiting to get inside. It was orderly and actually better than no controls at all. Seniors, disabled do not have to wait. Southern CA.