Honored Contributor

Re: HISTORICAL FIGURES WHO LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon,  now that you juxtapose the "young" Lincoln with an image of Sean,  I do see what you are talking about!

Edited to add:  the unruly hair helps with the likeness!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Ha!  Actually, I didn't provide the greatest picture.  I think you need the lined forehead to see the best resemblance.  It seems I've found a picture where Abe sort of resembles Kramer. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for sharing, these were wonderful.  JQA  looked so stern.  I mean, the weight of the world and it had him in a bad mood, no doubt.  No one smiled back then.  Of course, not a lot to smile about back in those days I guess.  

The family photos I've seen before, has a whole family out front of their shack/homes and it's amazing to have photos of people back then.  I have some family "tin-type" I think that's what they called the early photos.  Don't you just suck it up like a sponge to take it all in?

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's great that you have your own old, old, family photos, @qualitygal .   They are such a treasure, and endlessly fascinating as we gaze at those precious faces, gazing back at us over time!

Respected Contributor

Even though my ancestors were living mostly on a wing and a prayer, it was important that couples be photographed. On my father's side I have a series of family portraits taken in studios before my great grandparents immigrated from Russia. Interestingly, these are not wedding photos and were taken in middle age, probably to commentate a significant anniversary. They begin with my great great great grandparents and then down the generations to my great grandparents. My grandparents were born in 1885, so these are old photographs. In all of them the wife is standing beside her seated husband. I'm sure that this was a nod to showing my grandmothers' Sunday best. 

What stands out is the obvious move of the generations up the economic ladder, as evidenced by the backdrops and clothing and the studio itself. The earliest photo has the couple in a studio with a straw covered floor and a simple wooden chair. Their clothes are of the plainest materials and certainly homemade. The second photo was taken in a studio with a plank floor and a sturdier, but still simple chair. They are dressed in store bought clothes that are devoid of any fashion touches but well made. The third picture my great grandfather is seated in an elaborate upholstered chair in a three piece suit with watch fob and my grandmother is wearing a beautifully detailed and tailored dress.

I so admire the strength and spirit shown in their faces and posture. 

Honored Contributor

What a sharp social observer you are, @SunValley .   It is so interesting that you can trace the evolution of ancestors through the incremental changes in signs of prosperity and upward mobility.  Thank you for sharing those fascinating insights!

The few circa turn-of-the-century family photographs we had were in a box, and in my twenties, I had a few reproduced and framed.  Vintage black and white is my favorite type of photography.  I still display them, and esp. love one of a couple of relatives, in their best black clothes.  The woman is darling in sober, high-necked black taffeta, to the floor, and has the tiniest waist I've ever seen! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   These photographs are so revealing.  I wonder if the sobering attitudes carried into their daily lives, or if this was the expected stance when a portrait photograph was taken.  In any event, no frivolity was evident....only serious intent.  Huge contrast to the selfie genre.