Honored Contributor

Re: HIGH ROCK IN NORWAY ( WARNING: VERTIGO ALERT )

To answer your question, @mspatmac ,  even the younger me would have given the edge of Pulpit Rock a wide berth.

I echo the reactions of others who have been spooked by aspects of the Grand Canyon, and other gorges, despite their magnetic beauty...

Even when younger, I've always been one of those people who also gets a creepy feeling even when on a too-high apartment floor.  Sometimes, when on an apartment balcony, or a tall roof-garden, I've gotten that weird feeling--  what would it be like to fall or jump?   Not that I would, but it's not a preoccupation that gives me pleasure to contemplate!

I do slightly envy those who have no problem with precipitous edges....

Honored Contributor

stunning view....not so sure about the climb to the top!

Honored Contributor

What is wrong with those people?

Respected Contributor

Even the photo kind of sickens me. 

Honored Contributor

Just beautiful.  Im not crazy about heights.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

It's absolutely beautiful. I've seen pictures of it before on Facebook, Pinterest and elsewhere. If I could get to it, I'd walk on it but would probably crawl the closer I got to the edge.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Pulpit-Rock-with-Kids.jpg.optimal.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 9.08.53 AM.png

Have you ever heard of Pulpit Rock, in Norway?  It overlooks one of their beautiful coastline fjords.  I never knew about it..

There are no guardrails.  Surprisingly, there have been very few accidental falls, although several suicides.

The Norwegians are known for their hardiness, but oh my goodness.  There is no way I could lounge as close to the edge as many of those hikers do.

What about you? 

I might go there, if I could stay in the very middle of the stone "platform", and not budge, but would still feel 'queasy', I think.

One of the "Mission: Impossible" films had Tom Cruise scaling that side of Pulpit Rock's cliff.  Wonder if he works with a net, ha.

The majestic beauty of nature can at least be enjoyed from a distance...

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 9.06.22 AM.png

@Oznell 

Wait .... this isn't a national park?    I can't believe everyone actually climbed to get up there.  

I thought right off frame there was a small restaurant, gift shop and parking lot for everyone's cars ....  am I mistaken?  Woman LOL

Frequent Contributor

We were with a neighbor couple on a cruise excursion that went to Norway. My husband and I were on the beautiful gorge boat trip below that stopped below Pulpit Rock. We viewed some people up there that were sitting with their legs hanging from the edge...yikes!  People were the size of ants. Our neighbors hiked up there and told us it was a 2 hour hike to reach the top. They showed us their pictures from up there with all the other people at the time. They are a physically active couple anyway. We really enjoyed beautiful Norway which is my husband's heritage and we would go back. 

Respected Contributor

No, I would not be on that rock. The picture alone is making me dizzy.
Honored Contributor

I'm dizzy just looking at it!  If I were a bird.......

maybe??????????????