Honored Contributor

As I'm sorting and packing here, my TV is tuned to HGTV while directly across the street from my living room windows, a total in and out renovation is happening.  On each show I've walked past, I could imagine the demolition starting and ending in one day and we barely see how much debris there was _ while across the street, the workers are on day 11 and I'm still seeing debris. 

I did play nosy neighbor on day 2 and could see where they'd already removed all the sheetrock and most of the windows and all the kitchen cabinets and appliances.  The foreman on the job showed me where they were finding rot and where they were going to remove ceiling so they could add a second floor, but he didn't tell me their timeline or the money involved. 

I was hoping I'd see real progress before I leave in another two weeks - I wonder?  I really keep thinking I'll go look again, but I don't want to be in the way if they're frustrated over there.

The work team has been on site every day early every day since they started and I can hear the saws and the hammering pretty much nonstop.  So what's up?  Has HGTV given me the illusion it's faster and easier and more economical than it really is?

Respected Contributor

Re: HGTV: Reality or Illusion

I guess HGTV has to condense everything so it fits into an hour or half hour show.  And it depends on how many workers are on the job.     

Esteemed Contributor

HGTV has become so scripted and edited to fit into a certain time frame.  And, in the real world, contractors do work around the clock to finish a project.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

As I'm sorting and packing here, my TV is tuned to HGTV while directly across the street from my living room windows, a total in and out renovation is happening.  On each show I've walked past, I could imagine the demolition starting and ending in one day and we barely see how much debris there was _ while across the street, the workers are on day 11 and I'm still seeing debris. 

I did play nosy neighbor on day 2 and could see where they'd already removed all the sheetrock and most of the windows and all the kitchen cabinets and appliances.  The foreman on the job showed me where they were finding rot and where they were going to remove ceiling so they could add a second floor, but he didn't tell me their timeline or the money involved. 

I was hoping I'd see real progress before I leave in another two weeks - I wonder?  I really keep thinking I'll go look again, but I don't want to be in the way if they're frustrated over there.

The work team has been on site every day early every day since they started and I can hear the saws and the hammering pretty much nonstop.  So what's up?  Has HGTV given me the illusion it's faster and easier and more economical than it really is?

@millieshops

I guess they have .....   

Every show films probably 20 times more footage than they'll ever use.  The footage is later edited down to a half hour or hour show .... and the goal is entertainment value.   An interesting show that will have you watching regularly.

If a home is going through a massive remodeling, they could use 4 workers working 5 days a week or 20 workers working one day .... both having 20 work days.  So the "stars" of that show go in and swing the hammer around for filming, and then the real crew comes in to do the rest of it.

One thing that is unknown at the beginning is what they'll find when they start knocking down walls .....  mold, or water damage, or termites .... or whatever other surprises that can affect the final cost and labor necessary for completion.   

I love watching these shows for the "before and afters" .... the actual knocking down of walls .... not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot speak with certainty but lots of that program is staged.  Watched one show and the people searching for a house, one after another "on the same day" were wearing different clothes.  From one room to another same house they had on different garments.  You might want to google your question.  You might be surprised. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops

Not an expert here, but from a minor update a few years ago:

Their counters, quartz, sheet rock, etc almost always arrives on time

The contractors, plumbers, tile mason are never tied up with other jobs

The cost of labor is NOT included in the cost

For us we waited 6 mos for the best contractor, 😏, a six week job took 8 months!

By the last weeks I was walking around saying,’I want my home back’.

So HGTV, which I watch’ is as real as that.  😊 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

When I renovated my kitchen alone it took more than 8 weeks. We gutted the old kitchen & dining room and blew out the back wall. 

It is a slow process not what it seems like on TV.

Honored Contributor

There is no way they could do all the renovations they talk about for the amount they say it cost.  At least a lot of the times!