Honored Contributor

Re: HELP!!! NEED MICE ADVICE

You'll never get rid of them until you find the hole(s) that they're using to get in.  I still think you should call an exterminator.  Natural remedies aren't going to do the trick.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

Last nite my mouse decided to join me on my bed!!! This means war! Today I bought moth balls, peppermint oil, bounce, steel wool and cayanne pepper { Im part hispanic} threw that in for good measure.lol 

If that doesn't get to him and his friend then he will get the SNAP!

Spoiler

I'll bet that was a wake up call!  But I think he's just going to laugh at your remedies.  

Get a trap. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

You'll never get rid of them until you find the hole(s) that they're using to get in.  I still think you should call an exterminator.  Natural remedies aren't going to do the trick.

I agree that the natural remedies are a half hearted attempt. 

This isn't her house.  She rents a room.  The owner should be dealing with this, but if it were me, I'd just set a trap in my room and take control of the problem.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I agree that the natural remedies are a half hearted attempt. 

This isn't her house.  She rents a room.  The owner should be dealing with this, but if it were me, I'd just set a trap in my room and take control of the problem.  

Thanks @september.  I didn't catch that she was renting.  The owner definitely should be calling an exterminator.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

Last nite my mouse decided to join me on my bed!!! This means war! Today I bought moth balls, peppermint oil, bounce, steel wool and cayanne pepper { Im part hispanic} threw that in for good measure.lol 

If that doesn't get to him and his friend then he will get the SNAP!

Spoiler

The snap would have cost less and been quicker.

You forgot to get an oxygen mask for all that stinky stuff that will overake the air.

Respected Contributor

I bought some peppermint essential oil diluted it with water, put into spray bottle and sprayed all around.  Smell  was lovely and it got rid of our mouse problem.  Worked beautifully.

Valued Contributor

We live in the country on 50 acres so we're very used to having mice.  You would think with a 16 lb cat and a 10 lb cat who never leave the house, I'd never see a mouse.  Big girl is terrified of everything and Little girl is fearless but neither one will kill.  So the house is mined with bait but neither kitty can access bait traps.  From what Agway tells us, as soon as mouse takes bait, it trys to go for water.  I never put out traps in fear the girls would hurt their hands, but if a mouse was ever on the bed, it would be all-out war.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

I bought some peppermint essential oil diluted it with water, put into spray bottle and sprayed all around.  Smell  was lovely and it got rid of our mouse problem.  Worked beautifully.

@dulwich- How much did you dilute it?  Did you spray inside or out (like around the foundation of your home)?

My sister-in-law bought some prepared spray and tried that; it's the same idea but already mixed.

I've also heard of planting mint around your home or garage, but I'm too lazy to do that!

Esteemed Contributor

I had a mouse 🐁 I  my apartment and management sent an exterminator. He placed three triangle objects with yellow blocks in them. They are sealed all around and have an opening where the mouse gets the food. He leaves and goes outside to die. Have you tried going to Lowe's or Home Depot, they will help you. My son used a trap that has a small door and a lever on the end where he puts peanut butter. The trap closes them inside. I wish you luck. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56 wrote:

peppermint oil, they hate it, put on cottonballs around the house

I tried that when I had a mouse and friend in my pantry.

They came back in the night and chewed up the cotton balls and made nice fluffy and fresh nest linings or something out of them.

Please don't use poisons where the rodents go outside to die. Hawks and owls which are beneficial to us in the first place for eating large quantities of rodents outside, will swoop down to eat the poisoned mouse, which will kill the bird and potentially babies in the nest that get fed by it.

We used these traps, they are very effective and do not release poison into the environment which can harm other animals: