Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP!!! NEED MICE ADVICE

When I need to set a trap I cut a small triangle at the bottom of the end of a shoe box (with a lid on top) and put the baited trap inside.  Safe from kitty and I'm not met right away with a dead mouse in a trap.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow

You don't have air condition?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

When I need to set a trap I cut a small triangle at the bottom of the end of a shoe box (with a lid on top) and put the baited trap inside.  Safe from kitty and I'm not met right away with a dead mouse in a trap.

That's a great idea. Although my little kitty would stick her paw into the hole.  She gets into everything.   I bought some of the electronic traps.  They electrocute the mouse inside the trap. They have a curved 'gangway' and no kitty paw can reach in.   I read great reviews about them.  Thankfully so far they remained empty.  Mice can get into the tiniest opening.  I read a hole the size of a pencil eraser is big enough. Considering they carry all sorts of diseases and pests I was not to happy to see the critter in my house.  I still have no idea how it got in.  Now I have some in my garage.  I am afraid it might even be a rat.  My landscaper saw one the other day about the size of a small dog.   Traps are set.  I think the heat drives them in. 

Honored Contributor

@TW - we once had a mouse get in, the cat took one look at it and threw up.  So not only did I have to deal with trying to catch the mouse, I had to clean cat yuck up!

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote here for the electronic trap.......

Respected Contributor

we have a bunch of plug in eletronic units that keep mice away. we got them from lowes. they do seem to work.

Esteemed Contributor

Well all I can say is GOOD LUCK.  I've had a mouse for 8 months (or more) and we can't get rid of it.  I've never seen it (or them) in all this time, but I periodically find mouse droppings in various spots.  I've had an exterminator here twice.  I've had the few holes we found plugged with steel wool.  I've had poison baits put down as well as snap traps and glue traps.  I have electronic devices plugged in all over my house.  I have all of my food in lock and lock so there is no food source for the mouse.  I know he's here somewhere -- mocking me.  And just when I think he's gone (because I find no droppings for a said amount of time), he's back again.

I've read that having a cat is the absolute best thing you can do.  That's not an option for me; I have two dogs and my husband is allergic to cats.  Of course, according to many of these posts, seems like having a cat isn't always the answer either.  My exterminator is baffled.  My house is neat, next to spotless and organized.  Wish I had something positive to tell you.  

Respected Contributor

I feel for you Citrine2 as I've had my share of mouse probs in the past. I live in an older farm house so am more prone to them than most. Like you I've had the holes plugged, etc. Those mice are clever, as they can figure out how to eat the bailt w/o setting off the trap--can't figure it out! Don't have a prob. now as I have a lot of cats that keep them away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried traps for a mouse that I had and couldn't get rid of it.  I called an exterminator who set bait everywhere in plastic boxes (in places my dog couldn't get them), and never saw the mouse again.  He also found a tiny hole under my bathroom sink that he filled.  If you want to get rid of them you need to call an exterminator.  It was money well spent.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I had rats in my garage and found out about them when they ate their way through $2,500 worth of wiring in my car.  I have a pest control service and they set up traps in the plastic boxes that they use.  I'd call a service and get them asap.  Several people asked whether I was  using "humane" traps.  After putting out $2,500 to fix my car, I actually didn't care whether or not, the service used napalm in the garage.  I wanted those suckers gone!!