Respected Contributor

I saw a mouse in my room and was scared out of my wits. Well he brought his friend and now there are  two. I saw them going in between rooms. I was hoping my cat would get them, but because its so hot she isn't staying in the house much. 

Does anyone know of a 'natural' mouse repellent? Like cinnamon or oregano something like that. I really dont want to use a trap if I can avoid it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Re: HELP!!! NEED MICE ADVICE

peppermint oil, they hate it, put on cottonballs around the house

Honored Contributor

You need to find where they are getting in and get it sealed. Short of a trap, I don't know how to get rid of them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Others may have better ideas, but from the little I know I've always heard you must find the port of entry.  Once you find the holes place steel steel wool in the hole (or holes).  What I've been told is rodents don't like to (or maybe it's they can't) work through steel wool.  As for the ones already inside the cat may be the best weapon against them because where there is one mouse you can bet there is a large family nearby.   

Esteemed Contributor

I had mice a few years ago.They got in through a space between a pipe & the wall under my kitchen sink.After I cracked up I called my exterminator.He set a few traps & they were gone in no time.He also plugged up the space.

My friend tried the peppermint oil  & it didn’t work for her. I wanted the creatures out ASAP.That was the easiest quickest way for me.

Good luck 👍!!

Respected Contributor

If I had two mice pooping all over my house I wouldn't hesitate to set a trap.

What's the deal about a trap if you're willing to have your cat torture them to death?

If you have two mice, very shortly you will have many more.

Honored Contributor

If you live in a big house, especially if it's an older house, it's very hard to determine how they're getting inside.  As I've done remodeling in my older house, I've made it a point to stress to the contracters, that I want all holes and cracks sealed tightly.  They have done so, and the numbers getting inside have been greatly reduced. 

But...there is an occasional intruder!  Set a trap.

Respected Contributor

I rent a room and the land lord wanted me to have his cat get it. We live up in the hills with a lot of wildlife, so I was trying the natural way first. If I cant get them that way I will have to resort to a trap.

Super Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I saw a mouse in my room and was scared out of my wits. Well he brought his friend and now there are  two. I saw them going in between rooms. I was hoping my cat would get them, but because its so hot she isn't staying in the house much. 

Does anyone know of a 'natural' mouse repellent? Like cinnamon or oregano something like that. I really dont want to use a trap if I can avoid it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sorry had to laugh.  Just had the same experience  I have 2 cats in the house.  They saw the mouse and thought it was an awesome toy.  One was scared of the mouse.  They were rescued as tiny kittens and never learned how to hunt.  So after I trapped it in my closet (stuffed under the door so it couldn't get out)  hubby went to the store at 2 AM to buy a mouse trap.  Baited it with peanut butter and the next morning dead mouse in the trap.  I ordered 2 electronic traps just in case he brought friends but so far so good.  It is so hot this year that even the mice seek air conditioning.  BTW, the old fashioned snap traps never fail.  Just make sure your pets can't access it. 

Respected Contributor

@TW wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

Sorry had to laugh.  Just had the same experience  I have 2 cats in the house.  They saw the mouse and thought it was an awesome toy.  One was scared of the mouse.  They were rescued as tiny kittens and never learned how to hunt.  So after I trapped it in my closet (stuffed under the door so it couldn't get out)  hubby went to the store at 2 AM to buy a mouse trap.  Baited it with peanut butter and the next morning dead mouse in the trap.  I ordered 2 electronic traps just in case he brought friends but so far so good.  It is so hot this year that even the mice seek air conditioning.  BTW, the old fashioned snap traps never fail.  Just make sure your pets can't access it. 

Im afraid of those old fashioned traps. And these 2 mice are getting awful comfortable in my room, today he jumped on my bed. That was the final straw! Our community kitty is a great mouser but not in this heat. I just went outside to see if there are any holes or cracks near my room but everything is sealed up. These two mice are smart, they are using my room to go to the kitchen and back. GRRRRRR