Valued Contributor

Anyone have any advice how to deal with a muddy yard?  With the warm winter, hardly any freezing of the ground, and lots of rain just letting my dogs out to go do their business is creating this horrible muddy yard.  So frustrating 😞

Honored Contributor
  • You could spread some hay on it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! Muddy yard

[ Edited ]

I have an area in my yard which is bare dirt. When it gets wet it's a total muddy mess, especially when my dog goes out there. A landscaper told me to put crushed gravel, not pea grave but smaller. He said it's not expensive and people use it on walkways. It would be easy to pick up poo also and not have to deal with the mud. I'm going to get some this year before the rains come.

ETA - I plan to get crushed granite and have it packed down really firm so it won't shift or move...like you can almost sweep it with a broom and not have it move around yet when it gets wet the water sinks through it into the ground.

Honored Contributor

@KACEE1115   I am dealing with the same issue....winter woes!

Honored Contributor

I got a tumbleweed in my yard LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same, what a muddy mess.  Also, there is something digging small holes all over my yard.  I thought it was a flock of birds but now I’m not so sure.  A few years ago I had a flock of birds really tear the heck out of a spot on my front lawn.

Trusted Contributor

Clay cat litter will absorb the mud and wet  and give a dry  firm surface. It can be shoveled off or swept up to remove it after the hard weather.

BE CAREFUL:  DO NOT USE CLUMPING CAT LITTER; IT WILL TURN INTO LUMPS AND CLOTS AS HARD AS CEMENT!!

just use traditional, old fashioned clay cat litter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KACEE1115  I agree with @Kachina624  except DON'T USE HAY! Use straw. Hay contains lots of seeds of different kinds of grass (hay). Straw doesn't, and it will certainly protect your soil and keep you dry.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom.  You're right, I should have said straw.   That's what I meant.  There's a big difference in price too, I  imagine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I thought you might have meant that. And yes, it is very much less expensive.