Occasional Contributor

HELP! Lock and Lock Won't Open

I love Lock and Lock and have bought many pieces over the last several years.  I am very disappointed in my latest purchases (wonderful pie plates and circular pie carriers with handles.  The seals are SO TIGHT I cannot get the lids off.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I can't believe Lock and Lock let this happen.  Thank you.  

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! Lock and Lock Won't Open

The only time I ever encountered a container that wouldn’t open was due to my husband putting the lid on while the food was still warm.   We had to pierce a hole in the lid to break the seal to get it open.

Honored Contributor

@0516

Lock and Lock customer service phone number, 844-527-9188. Monday-Friday, 9-5 PT. 

I hope they will offer suggestions for you. 

Valued Contributor

I have had this happen many times and actually find it a positive -- especially for salad.  I open the tabs and insert a knife between the cover and the bowl and break the seal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While the container is all closed up, submerge it in a sink full of very hot water for several minutes. Place something heavy on top to keep it submerged. Then take it out of the hot water and immediately try to open it. @0516

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same problem as @RedTop - I put the top on when the food was still too warm. Hubby got it off for me.

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

I have had this happen many times and actually find it a positive -- especially for salad.  I open the tabs and insert a knife between the cover and the bowl and break the seal.

this is exactly how i break a hard to open seal......a dull knife and a little twist.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have a brand new set that I have to fight with.  I've used it about three times and it's not any better.  I am probably going to send it back.  I've only put dry foods in it.  No microwave/freezer.  I don't think they are the quality they once were.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@0516  I would just send it back.  To me, it should be a convenience and not a problem. I would return it as "defective".

Esteemed Contributor

I have used one of those plastic scrapers for the Forman grill or Pampered Chef to break that seal. The other try was the handle edge of flatware.  

I haven't tried this but I wonder if you place it in the freezer for a few minutes and then try if it would work. Not sure about that but it works on candle wax so give it a try.