Respected Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Joking about a hanging dead child as a pinata ... does it get more evil than that? That one actually sent chills down my spine in its coldness and callousness.

@JJsMom     @stevieb   

I still think Stevie hadn't read the actual comments before making her own comments  ..... if the students had actually DONE these things, they could have been convicted of multiple felonies, and, depending on the state, could be facing a possible death sentence.    Surely this goes WAY beyond "free speech".    

I hope that is the case.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I don't recall saying anything was acceptable...  What I believe I said was that seveteen year olds, along with those far older, sometimes say stupid things... I read the article in the Crimson, Harvard's newspaper, and while they noted broad categories of puported offensive content, they didn't note specific comments that were made...

I'm not surprised, and in today's climate I don't know that anyone is, or should be...

Yes, I've always found Harvard to be a little full of itself... I see the Crimson article also noted Harvard had a big 'yield' this year, so they could well afford to rescind a few admissions...

I'd also suggest the following article, in which it's noted the Harvard president recently spoke about free speech, noting the slippery slope of equating words to physical actions...

http://www.wbur.org/edify/2017/06/06/harvard-memes-rescinds-admission-offers

You simply can't have it both ways...

@stevieb It is an interesting juxtaposition, but I don't see it as anyone trying to have it both ways.  Equating words to physical actions would mean the students would face criminal charges for saying what they said...that's not happening here.  And if all the students did was talk about shaking up the FB group by putting those images online, they wouldn't be in this predicament.  Then their words would not have gotten them into the trouble that their deeds did.  But the action of posting the images in the setting they did showed the administration they lack the moral character and maturity to succeed at Harvard.  Free speech does not mean and has never meant that one should not have to face any consequences from saying what they've said. The FB group they originally split off from even included in its description a warning that this could happen, so they accepted that condition for their participation.

"The description for the official Facebook group for the Class of 2021, set up and maintained by the Admissions Office, disclaims all administrative responsibility for “unofficial groups” and warns members their admissions offers can be rescinded under specific circumstances.

'As a reminder, Harvard College reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under various conditions including if an admitted student engages in behavior that brings into question his or her honesty, maturity, or moral character,' the description reads."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/6/5/2021-offers-rescinded-memes/

Honored Contributor

Having free speech doesn't mean you don't have to face consequences.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Wonder how far this goes.  If someone, for example, supported Kathy Griffin's recent video and joked about it - would that qualify for rejection to Harvard?

I was going to ignore this post because I think that it is a bait. I infer that you think this might be just more liberal bias.

But I would ask you, @Isobel Archer, what do you think Harvard should have done, assuming you know what the students posted?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't know how many students were 17 (minors) or 18 (adults), but I can see some ambitious reporters finding out their names and making them public.

Can't you just see some clueless mother, trying to defend her son's actions, tearfully telling a reporter:  

"Oh, that was just BOY TALK ..... "    

Esteemed Contributor

THese comments went far beyond "stupid".  THey were truly twisted and deeply disturbing.  I certainly would not want to,attend any school that they were attending.  THese comments speak to,their "moral Character"  which shows them to have none.  If they were smart enough to be accepted to Harvard then they should have been smart enough to see what kind of trouble these comments could get them into.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

THese comments went far beyond "stupid".  THey were truly twisted and deeply disturbing.  I certainly would not want to,attend any school that they were attending.  THese comments speak to,their "moral Character"  which shows them to have none.  If they were smart enough to be accepted to Harvard then they should have been smart enough to see what kind of trouble these comments could get them into.

@KathyPet

I have been thinking about this for the last hour.   I am glad that ten other, much more deserving, students will get a chance to attend Harvard.    

And I'm willing to bet that many students current and incoming went back to read the conditions of acceptance.   lol

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Exactly @Noel7.

People seem to forget the part about consequences when they speak of free speech. Yes, you can say pretty much anything you want, but you also have to accept the consequences that come with the freedom

Esteemed Contributor

Some things one does has consequences in life.....these kids might have learned that the hard way

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Exactly @Noel7.

People seem to forget the part about consequences when they speak of free speech. Yes, you can say pretty much anything you want, but you also have to accept the consequences that come with the freedom

You are so right, @Ms tyrion2.  And... just because someone states their opinion, it doen't mean they don't have free speech because someone verbally disagrees with them Smiley Wink