Honored Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

[ Edited ]

@Kardi wrote:

It is common sense that they should be super-careful online, however I wonder how many CEOs, doctors and attorneys aged 50 and up would be where they are now if their colleges could have monitored their phone conversations when they were 19.  

@Kardi

We aren't talking about college pranks like stealing a school mascot or spray painting a statue of a school president or another silly stunt....what these students did went beyond decency standards!

Some of what you learn over the years stays with you....and I wonder how many of the CEOs, doctors and attorneys that you mention carried their "philosophies' into their later years.....  like the Exec that got fired where I work for emailing inappropriate "jokes" , or other fired execs that have been in the news recently, or doctors/lawyers that get their licenses revoked for inappropiate behavior, disgraced community leaders like what happened here in our city  ......gee wonder where they initially picked this stuff up from.......one just doesnt press a button after they leave college and poof-instant maturity........there is normal stuff that we learn as we grow older,and mature,  but some of this stuff is more about individual character and a person's moral values.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Oh it came out all right.....involved other things as well....google it

Interesting. I will have to investigate further.

I was talking about the the actual names of the students to be. (not anymore)

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Oh it came out all right.....involved other things as well....google it

Interesting. I will have to investigate further.

I was talking about the the actual names of the students to be. (not anymore)

@missy1

Ok...understand now

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Most colleges watch social media very carefully. 

My friends 17 yo daughter was just terminated from her job due to social media.  She called off of work claiming to be sick then proceeded to post photos on FB of herself with friends out that night. 

I have another friend who relocated from here to another state for a job.  She was terminated not long after her relocation because she openly posted very unkind comments about the franchise she was working for and employees she managed.  And she didn't learn from that because she got a second job and was terminated from it as well for the same things.   And this is a 40something YO woman!!!!  

That doesn't surprise me.

My nephew is involved in a lawsuit.  He was badly injured on his job.  His lawyers advised him and his family not to post on social media at all. 

Someone at my daughter's college stole a golf card from Campus Security.  They were posting pics of it on social media.  Every student who was seen on that golf cart was called into security and was questioned about it.  They wanted to know who took it and where it was.  When they found out the person who took it, they rescinded his scholarships. 

@Bri36, I'm sorry to hear about your nephew.  Hopefully he is okay and things work out for him. 

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

What they posted was disgusting. I don't feel bad for them. They are lucky they are not being individually named, which could ruin their lives.

@missy1 wrote:

I  bet the info will come out.

It already has- their posts were racist.

Which is taught at home and yes when children hear racism at home, they seek out friends who do the same. Children are like sponges... They don't suddenly become this way.

I'll have to disagree with this. I grew up with a racist father. At a young age I decided that hating someone for the color of their skin just didn't make sense. I became quite vocal aboutique my feelings and ruined several family dinners.Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, thank you.

He had his left leg amputated below the knee.  They saved his right leg, but he's needed several surgeries.  He's been fitted with a prosthesis and has such a great outlook.  He's so strong and positive. 

Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

Joking about a hanging dead child as a pinata ... does it get more evil than that? That one actually sent chills down my spine in its coldness and callousness.

@JJsMom     @stevieb   

I still think Stevie hadn't read the actual comments before making her own comments  ..... if the students had actually DONE these things, they could have been convicted of multiple felonies, register as a life long sex offender. convicted of hate crimes, and, depending on the state, could be facing a possible death sentence.    Surely this goes WAY beyond "free speech".    

Respected Contributor

What I have a hard time understanding is the fact that the parents of these students will sue Harvard for rescinding their acceptances??? Wow!! Does that not send the message to these kids that the parents are okay with what they did? My guess is that if there are law suits by the kids and parents, then these kids have done wrong things before and there were never any consequences. 

No way in Haiti's would I defend my son for these kind of behaviors!! No way! 

Honored Contributor

Campus sexual assault is a major problem.  I think it is the duty of the school to do what they can to stop it.  If the guys talking it up on FB ever did something, the university could be sued for knowingly admitting a predator.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

What they posted was disgusting. I don't feel bad for them. They are lucky they are not being individually named, which could ruin their lives.

@missy1 wrote:

I  bet the info will come out.

It already has- their posts were racist.

Which is taught at home and yes when children hear racism at home, they seek out friends who do the same. Children are like sponges... They don't suddenly become this way.

I'll have to disagree with this. I grew up with a racist father. At a young age I decided that hating someone for the color of their skin just didn't make sense. I became quite vocal aboutique my feelings and ruined several family dinners.Woman Very Happy

You and I were lucky because we didn't succumb. Yet, I have known many of my classmates with fathers like we had that were exactly like their parents. Not all kids can think for themselves..