Honored Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

@Kardi wrote:

It is common sense that they should be super-careful online, however I wonder how many CEOs, doctors and attorneys aged 50 and up would be where they are now if their colleges could have monitored their phone conversations when they were 19.  

Agreed.

But it is a different world on so many levels now.

The public persona you present now, if you use all the social media out there, is wide ranging and long lasting. Something that didn't exist just a few short years ago. With it comes the responsibility to use it wisely or bear the consequences of what you put out there.

Everyone has a right to their opinions, regardless of how awful they are. They are free to think anything they wish, and share their ideas with like minded people. Today, you just have to know that when you do it publicly it will be noticed and acted upon in circumstances like this.

Everything every one of us do these days, is much more monitored and captured than every in history. It is the new reality, and these kids who have grown up in this new reality should be learning their lesson much earlier. They learned it now.

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

As always, we're free to disagree... Had the decision been mine, I might well have offered them a probationary acceptance, making it clear that the choice was theirs to clean up their acts and to sink or swim... Call me crazy, but I often believe in second chances... particularly when the 'offense' was a verbal one. I'm sure some of the comments were reprehensible, but at the end of the day, none of the prospective students actually 'did' anything to anyone... They posted stupid comments...

That's all those posts were to you? "Stupid"?

Try heinous, despicable, vile, deplorable ...

If you think this is normal youthful indescretion, I have to wonder about your standards.

I agree 100 percent.  For this religious group I guess it doesn't matter. 

Respected Contributor

Like Sinead sang "Through their own words
they will be exposed"     

from "The emperor's new clothes".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

@Blingqueen023

another big factor is who these students hang around with .......too easily influenced and just follow the crowd to be accepted.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Most colleges watch social media very carefully. 

My friends 17 yo daughter was just terminated from her job due to social media.  She called off of work claiming to be sick then proceeded to post photos on FB of herself with friends out that night. 

I have another friend who relocated from here to another state for a job.  She was terminated not long after her relocation because she openly posted very unkind comments about the franchise she was working for and employees she managed.  And she didn't learn from that because she got a second job and was terminated from it as well for the same things.   And this is a 40something YO woman!!!!  

I guess you can't fix stupid!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I applaud Harvard and any college that holds students accountable.  Unfortunately, too few are doing this.

These memes were not errors in judgment.  When we have a "joke" about an Hispanic child being hung and used as a pinata, that is cruel and shows the true character of the person posting.  

I am afraid that we are on that slippery slope and it will be a fight to turn it around.  Every school-age child understands that anything posted online can be read by anyone, no matter how many blocks are used.

It is time for families to be families and to bring civility into reality.  I personally believe that patriotism also needs to return--big time.  It is time for our young people to have a love of family and country, even before they adore themselves--just my opinion.

@SXMGirl

ITA...and I love your comment "even before they adore themselves'...............

Boy that's a right on statement......the selfie is certainly the appropriate mascot for this decade.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

Everyone should know by now that schools and employers look at social media when deciding on candidates. Shows bad judgment or arrogance to ignore that simple fact. Good for Harvard!!!

Respected Contributor

Joking about a hanging child as a pinata ... does it get more evil than that? That one actually sent chills down my spine in its coldness and callousness.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

What they posted was disgusting. I don't feel bad for them. They are lucky they are not being individually named, which could ruin their lives.

@missy1 wrote:

I  bet the info will come out.

It already has- their posts were racist.

Which is taught at home and yes when children hear racism at home, they seek out friends who do the same. Children are like sponges... They don't suddenly become this way.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Oh it came out all right.....involved other things as well....google it

Interesting. I will have to investigate further.

It included discussing sexual abuse of children and how that turned some of them on.

IF ONLY we could tell people like that to knock it off and that would work.