Honored Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

[ Edited ]

Some of these students are being urged to promote certain "propoganda" on topics that are sick and disgusting using offensive memes (I cant even say what they call themselves inappripriate according to Forum Standards)....looks like what they did backfired on them---good for Harvard for taking a stand for decency! 

People just won't learn that everything that an individual writes on social media becomes "who you are" scruntinized by not only colleges, by employers, organizations you want to get involved in etc etc..... And you can't use excuses like "it was all in fun" just shows the cruel nature and immaturity level of these idiots..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

What they posted was disgusting. I don't feel bad for them. They are lucky they are not being individually named, which could ruin their lives.

@missy1 wrote:

I  bet the info will come out.

It already has- their posts were racist.

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

That statement is true except for one thing.  If they were raised right, they wouldn't have posted what they posted on social media.  I still think these students are just a reflection of their parents. 

You are either not a parent because anyone who has raised kids...even effectively and successfully...truly knows that there is more to it than the instruction and values and examples you impart.  There is an element of luck, divine intervention, and that ever present free will of the grown child, that come into play. Add to that peer pressure, changing social norms, and anything from mental illness to drug and alcohol use/abuse, and any one good (even excellent) parent can get a child that does wrong.

Yes, many parents aren't setting the right example or holding kids accountable, but it is absolutely not every 'gone awry' kid's story. Many of them come from people who have done it right. People have free will, and make choices for themselves. People (especially when young) feel invincible, entitled and do and say dumb things. Sometimes the consequences are severe. This time it was. I'm just sorry there may be some really great parents out there having to bear this shame and disappointment along with their children, and may not deserve to do so.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Whether they'd been accepted at Harvard or Timbuktu U, seventeen year olds are still seventeen year olds and they, at least occasionally, still say and do stupid things, as do those far older and more experienced... Like most of us, they also sometimes say things they don't actually mean.

Some of the rigid mindsets around here that would expect perfection at all times and at all costs are just out there... I also heartily disagree that comments left on a FB page are the result of bad parenting... This item makes me so glad of two things, first that I don't 'do' FB and second that I never aspired to attend Harvard... 

Had Harvard rescinded their admissions over something they did rather than something they said, that, for me, would be different. I only hope these kids had a backup plan that included attendance at a school a little less full of itself... or full of something, anyway...

How about aspiring to be a decent humans ? FB has nothing to do with it. But seeing what is OK by the parents of these "children" is. And at 17 they are old enough to know better. So yes if their parents are morons then they should aspire not to be. But apparently they chose to be. I would hope all other schools look to Harvard before just cuddling these nitwits and letting them in. You seem to want to give these kids a pass. Did you see what was posted? You think that is OK? really?

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@LinaL wrote:

"Had Harvard rescinded their admissions over something they did rather than something they said , that, for me, would be different. I only hope these kids had a backup plan that included attendance at a school a little less full of itself... or full of something, anyway..."

I couldn't disagree more. How is Harvard "full of itself" for expecting (prospective) students to adhere to its standards of decency? It's a reflection on the school. IMO, Harvard did the right thing. These memes weren't a one-time incident. Apparently, they're trending.

Harvard had the right and obligation to protect its reputation. This isn't a martyr of free speech or discrimination.

As always, we're free to disagree... Had the decision been mine, I might well have offered them a probationary acceptance, making it clear that the choice was theirs to clean up their acts and to sink or swim... Call me crazy, but I often believe in second chances... particularly when the 'offense' was a verbal one. I'm sure some of the comments were reprehensible, but at the end of the day, none of the prospective students actually 'did' anything to anyone... They posted stupid comments...

You can't tell a sociopath to clean up their act and expect it to happen.  

There are truly twisted people out there who can't and don't change.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

That statement is true except for one thing.  If they were raised right, they wouldn't have posted what they posted on social media.  I still think these students are just a reflection of their parents. 

You are either not a parent because anyone who has raised kids...even effectively and successfully...truly knows that there is more to it than the instruction and values and examples you impart.  There is an element of luck, divine intervention, and that ever present free will of the grown child, that come into play. Add to that peer pressure, changing social norms, and anything from mental illness to drug and alcohol use/abuse, and any one good (even excellent) parent can get a child that does wrong.

Yes, many parents aren't setting the right example or holding kids accountable, but it is absolutely not every 'gone awry' kid's story. Many of them come from people who have done it right. People have free will, and make choices for themselves. People (especially when young) feel invincible, entitled and do and say dumb things. Sometimes the consequences are severe. This time it was. I'm just sorry there may be some really great parents out there having to bear this shame and disappointment along with their children, and may not deserve to do so.

I wonder if anyone who thinks these students are  a reflection of their parents  even has kids!!

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

As always, we're free to disagree... Had the decision been mine, I might well have offered them a probationary acceptance, making it clear that the choice was theirs to clean up their acts and to sink or swim... Call me crazy, but I often believe in second chances... particularly when the 'offense' was a verbal one. I'm sure some of the comments were reprehensible, but at the end of the day, none of the prospective students actually 'did' anything to anyone... They posted stupid comments...

That's all those posts were to you? "Stupid"?

Try heinous, despicable, vile, deplorable ...

If you think this is normal youthful indescretion, I have to wonder about your standards.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Regular Contributor

@stevieb

I agree with you on second chances, but these memes were very "disturbing" to say the least. They weren't so innocent. I think Harvard was considering the person more than the act in their decision to uninvite these people.  Noel7 more than alluded to it. These memes are not normal joking around. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

What they posted was disgusting. I don't feel bad for them. They are lucky they are not being individually named, which could ruin their lives.

@missy1 wrote:

I  bet the info will come out.

It already has- their posts were racist.

@missy1  @Ibby114

Oh it came out all right.....involved other things as well..mocking death of children, makin fun of the holocaust, advocating assault......google it

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Oh it came out all right.....involved other things as well....google it

Interesting. I will have to investigate further.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu