Honored Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

@Mominohio wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

I don't agree with this as a blanket statement. We all know people who have 'done everything right' in raising their kids, but SOME young people always have and always will push the envelope, stretch the boundaries. It's what they do, it's how they learn. Now comes the part where they are held responsible for their words/actions, and consequences fall into place.

Hopefully they learned something from this, and don't continue to make the same mistakes.

I don't agree with that statement as a whole either.  In fact it's ludicrous. 

I think we all know young men or women who had horrendous parents and the kids turned out wonderfully.  I think we all know fabulous parents and the kids have problems. 

And how do you explain how one child out of 7 that is off the rails.  They were all raised by the same parents.     

Respected Contributor

Most colleges watch social media very carefully. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 I don't recall saying anything was acceptable...  What I believe I said was that seveteen year olds, along with those far older, sometimes say stupid things... I read the article in the Crimson, Harvard's newspaper, and while they noted broad categories of puported offensive content, they didn't note specific comments that were made...

I'm not surprised, and in today's climate I don't know that anyone is, or should be...

Yes, I've always found Harvard to be a little full of itself... I see the Crimson article also noted Harvard had a big 'yield' this year, so they could well afford to rescind a few admissions...

I'd also suggest the following article, in which it's noted the Harvard president recently spoke about free speech, noting the slippery slope of equating words to physical actions...

http://www.wbur.org/edify/2017/06/06/harvard-memes-rescinds-admission-offers

You simply can't have it both ways...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

My friends 17 yo daughter was just terminated from her job due to social media.  She called off of work claiming to be sick then proceeded to post photos on FB of herself with friends out that night. 

I have another friend who relocated from here to another state for a job.  She was terminated not long after her relocation because she openly posted very unkind comments about the franchise she was working for and employees she managed.  And she didn't learn from that because she got a second job and was terminated from it as well for the same things.   And this is a 40something YO woman!!!!  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Had Harvard rescinded their admissions over something they did rather than something they said , that, for me, would be different. I only hope these kids had a backup plan that included attendance at a school a little less full of itself... or full of something, anyway..."

I couldn't disagree more. How is Harvard "full of itself" for expecting (prospective) students to adhere to its standards of decency? It's a reflection on the school. IMO, Harvard did the right thing. These memes weren't a one-time incident. Apparently, they're trending.

Harvard had the right and obligation to protect its reputation. This isn't a matter of free speech or discrimination. Part of acceptance to Harvard is a moral code that these students failed. 

This doesn't mean I believe in censorship. I believe in the institution's rights. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I don't recall saying anything was acceptable...  What I believe I said was that seveteen year olds, along with those far older, sometimes say stupid things... I read the article in the Crimson, Harvard's newspaper, and while they noted broad categories of puported offensive content, they didn't note specific comments that were made...

I'm not surprised, and in today's climate I don't know that anyone is, or should be... But yes, I've always found Harvard to be a little full of itself... I see the Crimson article also noted Harvard had a big 'yield' this year, so they could well afford to rescind a few admissions...

I'd also suggest the following article, in which it's noted the Harvard president recently spoke about free speech, noting the slippery slope of equating words to physical actions...

http://www.wbur.org/edify/2017/06/06/harvard-memes-rescinds-admission-offers

You simply can't have it both ways...

You do have to wonder had admissions been down if the results of this would be the same.

Honored Contributor

What some of those students were into sounds like they are sociopaths.  There's a big difference between youthful folly and bonding over sexual assault and dead children,  

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

My friends 17 yo daughter was just terminated from her job due to social media.  She called off of work claiming to be sick then proceeded to post photos on FB of herself with friends out that night. 

I have another friend who relocated from here to another state for a job.  She was terminated not long after her relocation because she openly posted very unkind comments about the franchise she was working for and employees she managed.  And she didn't learn from that because she got a second job and was terminated from it as well for the same things.   And this is a 40something YO woman!!!!  

That doesn't surprise me.

My nephew is involved in a lawsuit.  He was badly injured on his job.  His lawyers advised him and his family not to post on social media at all. 

Someone at my daughter's college stole a golf card from Campus Security.  They were posting pics of it on social media.  Every student who was seen on that golf cart was called into security and was questioned about it.  They wanted to know who took it and where it was.  When they found out the person who took it, they rescinded his scholarships. 

Honored Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

"Had Harvard rescinded their admissions over something they did rather than something they said , that, for me, would be different. I only hope these kids had a backup plan that included attendance at a school a little less full of itself... or full of something, anyway..."

I couldn't disagree more. How is Harvard "full of itself" for expecting (prospective) students to adhere to its standards of decency? It's a reflection on the school. IMO, Harvard did the right thing. These memes weren't a one-time incident. Apparently, they're trending.

Harvard had the right and obligation to protect its reputation. This isn't a martyr of free speech or discrimination.

As always, we're free to disagree... Had the decision been mine, I might well have offered them a probationary acceptance, making it clear that the choice was theirs to clean up their acts and to sink or swim... Call me crazy, but I often believe in second chances... particularly when the 'offense' was a verbal one. I'm sure some of the comments were reprehensible, but at the end of the day, none of the prospective students actually 'did' anything to anyone... They posted stupid comments...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Good, weed them out.  FB and other social media is also often checked when people apply for jobs.

When my daughter was applying for SSDI, her lawyer told her the judge will be checking her FB. It is a tool used today to learn about a person. 

Nobody will learn anything about me.  I'm not on FB or other similar social media sites.