Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU EVER TAKEN PART IN A

[ Edited ]

I've been asked by strangers in the dressing room about a fit and how do you think this looks .......one woman liked a dress and I was honest and told her it was a little tight....she replied I know, I think I can have it altered....(.Even though the dress was on sale I just couldnt see paying to have it let out a little.....but I didnt share that with her...her money.)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I've been in Chico's several times where I helped someone considering an item in front of the huge mirror.  Sometimes I even point out an accessory that would complete the outfit.

Once, I mentioned an unusual sweater to someone who tried it on.  She bought it.....it was a sweater I was going to buy !!!!  Oh well, she looked great in it.

They have offered me a job, half tongue in cheek, but I am definitely retired.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Nothing specific but I talk to strangers all of the time.  If someone walks past me (female) and I can tell she has taken time with an outfit and looks nice, (while still walking I'll say, "You look pretty in that color or something nice".  You can see them smile and it might be just what they needed.  It's not a lie, just a little reminder that life is good and we can all find something good in it.

If I'm in a store (grocery) I'll start a conversation about "so many things to choose from", etc.

I love people and 99% of the time they are nice and enjoy a few short minutes of one on one.  Then we are on our way.  Sometimes I'll hear their children say, "Mommie...who was that lady"?  Ha

Respected Contributor

Loehmann's in the Bronx--such incredible conversations I have had (and overheard) there! Went to the Tony Awards in a bargain I found there, too--

I happened to be shopping there when Karen Carpenter's sudden death, after her long struggle with anorexia, was announced. 

There was an outpouring (it was a communal dressing room) of sadness for her premature death.

Respected Contributor

Yes I have, I'll talk to anyone. I have struck up conversation with strangers in line and they've looked at me like I'm crazy, lol. Understanding that you never know what people are going through, but I find that quite odd. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

dressing room conversation?  I mean talking with others in other dressing rooms, even if you don't know the women? 

Here is an example:  my sister and I were in different rooms of a store trying on a bunch of things.  She called out "did you try that red printed top yet?" (we had both taken the same one to try)  I happened to have it on right then and said "yes, and I feel like I should be taking an order at a Chinese restaurant."  Everyone started laughing.  My sister wanted to see it so I stepped out and showed her.  Others opened their doors, also out of curiosity.  We all had a chuckle.  Then one of the women asks my sister her opinion of the dress she was trying on.  My sister told her it looked good on her.  I have often been asked my opinion about a fit of an item or if I thought it was appropriate for a certain event.  How about you?  Any stories to share?

That IS funny.... and yes, when my friend and I went shopping we'd talk across the dressing rooms and others did tend to join in.... and then get involved with each other.  Fun stuff....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I was in a public restroom in a restaurant a few weeks ago. There was a mom with a young baby that she just changed. She was trying to wash her hands, hold the baby and the diaper bag.

I offered to take the baby (it was so long since I held one!!) and we chatted while she washed and dried. 

I seem to strike up conversations everywhere I go as well.

Super Contributor

I just take part in discussions with my husband when he is trying a new suit for work.  I'll be usually saying come on what ya doing in there and then he'll chuckle and open the door to show me how it fits.  He always gets them tailored anyway for a custom fit but I like to see beforehand.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Great fun reading these!!!!

Respected Contributor

I haven't talked much in a dressing room, but I usually get in a chat with someone wherever I go. I can't help but make little comments (that I think are funny), here and there.

People ask me about make-up a LOT  too, so I always end up discussing products and techniques, etc. I feel like the Avon lady ...

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )