Respected Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU EVER HIRED AN ORGANIZER?

My daughter has. It helped learn how to organize things. For her it was well worth the $. She’s had one at work, at home, several times over years.

Honored Contributor

@catlover@I know that feeling.You can’t enjoy what you have when there is too much of it.I think you should just pick one drawer or closet a day and get really tough about what you will keep.Stop buying more things until you have an actual need,...nothing new in unless something old is out.No new hair,makeup,skincare until bottom of container.I don’t stock up for sales or deals anymore.Just buy what I need when I need it.It is much more exciting to finally need something and then to search for the perfect item rather than go to the cupboard and search out the old stacked up stuff for what you need.

Honored Contributor

I’m very organized by nature so I’ve never needed an organizer. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My mother had the organizing gene. She was extremely organized in every aspect of her life! She taught us well.

Honored Contributor

@catloverwrote:

I have way too much stuff....overwhelmed at times...............

@catlover- if you’re serious about decluttering and organizing, I’d recommend Marie Kondo’s book, on the art of decluttering. It’s a quick read and teaches you about changing how you look at your possessions. It’s a great book. 

I follow most of her principles and methods. Not all, but most. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

No, I was born organized. I cannot stand things out of order....drives me crazy. Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

No but I'm thinking about hiring someone to organize my kitchen.  There is local woman who has business doing that.  She organizes the cabinets; she'll lay down shelf paper and install whatever needs to be installed.  It's not that I am overwhelmed or have too much "stuff".  I just don't have a vision of what I want to do and I'm too busy anyway.  I have a full-time job and I don't have the time.  I should stop thinking about doing it.....and just do it.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree But if someone else organizes your kitchen..will you be able to find what you need?What if the process that you use to do things in the kitchen is not the best by organizational aspects but it is what you are used to and what works.

I organized my sons kitchen and he kept calling me asking where I put things.He loved that it was clean and neat but he used his tools differently than I anticipated.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a lot of "stuff" anymore but I always kept things organized.

DH can pack 10lbs of carp into a 2lb bag.

It's a good thing because he has a lot of carp.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'll interject that there is a difference between being organized, and having too much, (or too little or just enough stuff.

I'm very organized, but I have way more stuff than I need or want. 

Everything is neat, orderly, organized and categorized. I just want less of it and am working on purging it. 

I think that there should be a field where 'pros' come in and teach you to purge, way before the whole organizing thing begins. 

Everyone has a different level of 'things and stuff' they feel comfortable having, but from personal experience I know that you can be very organized (and your stuff and space too), and not need someone to tell you how to do that, but do need someone to tell you how to purge. The process in choosing what to purge, how much to purge and the order in which you do it. 

In my mind, the organizing is what comes AFTER you have 'right sized' your things to suit you. The organizing as to what goes where for best functionality, comes last.