Respected Contributor

Re: HAVE A WEDDING? TELL US ABOUT IT!!

@luv-the-Q wrote:

@IamMrsG This is a wonderful story.  I can relate to the Catholic/Baptist thing.  My grandmother was sure we were not really married in God's eyes, because of the Catholic priest who married us. 😨 Well, after about 30 years she changed her mind.  😁

@luv-the-Q  I hear that.  I'd swear, before she died, my Mother loved my DH more than she did me. Woman LOL

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The wedding ceremony was in church. My dress and the bridesmaids' dresses were CUSTOM made. The reception was very similar to the wedding reception in the movie "The Godfather". The food was catered from a 5 star restaurant and was overseen by my parent's good friend who was a chef there. Waiters walked around with appetizers. Full on sit down dinner for 300 guests. We also had an open bar and both red and white wine at the tables and a live band. The wedding cake was made by an amazing pastry chef. People talked about it for years!!!

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

married in 1969. I was 20 and he was 30. He was divirced and had custody of his 2 children aged 5 & 6 at that time. We didn't really have a wedding party - just a best man and MOH, and the kids were the flower girl & ring bearer. I had bought a gown with a huge princess skirt but 2 weeks before the wedding our old historic church had a fire in the sanctuary so we were going to have to be married in the sunday school chapel - the very small sunday school chapel. We had to call 75 guests who were orginally invited to the wedding and tell them they could now only attend the reception, and even so we had about 10 people who had to stand. Also, my gown would not fit in the aisle. NO way No how, I had to call the bridal shop and explain the situation - they brought the gown over to the church and tried it - no way. The aisle was only 18" wide after we hasd to add chairs for the guests. SO - because I was a perfect size 8 and the dress had not had to be altered they let me return it and I had to buy one that would work. I can honestly say - I hated my wedding dress. Empire waist and A line skirt.They also had to remove my very long veil and replace it with a standard fingertip one. To say the least I was dissappointed but it all worked out in the end. None of the guests were upset when we explained why they could not come to the wedding. Then my stepdaughter was walking down the aisle she looked at my cousin and said she had to throw up - my cousin got her out to the BR in time! She was fine by the reception, just nerves. She put on my veil at the reception and wore it all night. Danced with my dad - it was so cute. Just like he would dance with me when I was 5. An eventful wedding that was the start of an eventful marriage. My husband got a job working for British Leyland internationally and we travelled and lived all over the world. When the kids started high school we came home and he started up a business so they could enjoy their HS experience.

Sounds FAB!!!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

The wedding ceremony was in church. My dress and the bridesmaids' dresses were CUSTOM made. The reception was very similar to the wedding reception in the movie "The Godfather". The food was catered from a 5 star restaurant and was overseen by my parent's good friend who was a chef there. Waiters walked around with appetizers. Full on sit down dinner for 300 guests. We also had an open bar and both red and white wine at the tables and a live band. The wedding cake was made by an amazing pastry chef. People talked about it for years!!!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sounds fab.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This post has been removed by QVC. Unkind - Caused disagreement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These stories are a hoot!

I married in 1973 when I was 19 and my husband was 20.  I just wanted a small family wedding with family and a couple of friends.  My Italian parents who were older when I was born wanted a very large lavish affair.

I purchased a beautiful cotton eyelet white gown to wear and the matching dress in pale blue for my younger sister (MOH). My parents insisted that I purchase a formal wedding gown.  I went dress shopping with my older sister who is 16 years my senior.  I just stood there while the sales ladies dropped dresses over my head.  I didn't like any of them, so my sister chose one for me.

I had a very formal Catholic Italian wedding by candlelight.  Because I was not happy about having to have such a large affair that I didn't want, I was rebellious and never went to the appointment with the church organist and singer.  So, imagine the horror of my parents when I walked down the aisle, on my father's arm in a quiet church.  I had no music in the church at all. My parents were embarrassed, but no one said anything about it.  Today my guests say they don't remember.  Either they are too old to remember, or they didn't notice at the time.

My reception had over 500 people there.  We had tons of food and plenty of booze.  I had a live band.  All of the guests were invited to my parents home the next day to continue the party.  My husband and I were not there, but I was told hundreds of people showed up.

A few people whispered that we were too young to be married and said it wouldn't  last.  This summer we will celebrate our 43 wedding anniversary.  

I still have my formal dress and it is beautiful and classic.  I have had a few family members ask if they could borrow it for their wedding.  So far, no one has been able to zip it up.  My waist was only 22 inches.  Boy, I wish I could wear that dress today.  I should have appreciated it  back then.

Worth mentioning:  the venue billed my parents a couple of weeks later.  I saw the bill for the venue and food and service.  The whole affair cost $750!

The cake, drinks/booze, band was billed separately.  I have no idea what those extras cost.

Honored Contributor

I just returned from my niece's wedding which was held at a  estate.

IMG_3774.JPG

I can only use the words of elegant, exquisite and certainly a fairy tale -- 

IMG_3755.JPG

There was not one thing missed to make it spectacular.  

As for mine, we had a nice church wedding and reception.  The traditional bridesmaids/groomsmen, 2 flower girls, ringbearer.

We had about 100 at the reception, many family, friends and business associates of my dad.  A good time was had by all!

We will celebrate 40 years soon (gee where did the time go!)

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add - as a sort of side business my Mom made wedding cakes so , of course, she made mine. It was 3 layers and each different flavor, one was rum cake as she liked rum cakes best, and one chocolate - my favorite and one  lemon. I wanted a champagne fountain as they were very popular then and sure enough she figured out how to do it and I had that. My cakes for both my marriages were just beautiful and delicious.Some guests asked for extra pieces of my wedding cake to take home, because they knew how fabulous my Mom's cakes tasted. Almost everyone we knew had my Mom make their wedding cakes. My second marriege my cake was very small as we only had 20 people there but very elegant with a very light , pale yellow foundant and live pansies cascading down the sides.Everyone from DH's family was so impressed, but those from my side just took for granted I'd have an exceptional cake.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle Thanks for the support. It is nice to know that someone recognizes this poster is as she is. Unfortunately, she has now turned on you and will probably follow you all around the board with her nastiness. I try not to engage her - though sometimes she gets to me and I do.It is hopeless though to do so. She doesn't live in reality, and now I notice she has a new buddy who seems to think the same as she does, so much so that I wonder if they are the same poster with 2 names.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle Thanks for the support. It is nice to know that someone recognizes this poster is as she is. Unfortunately, she has now turned on you and will probably follow you all around the board with her nastiness. I try not to engage her - though sometimes she gets to me and I do.It is hopeless though to do so. She doesn't live in reality, and now I notice she has a new buddy who seems to think the same as she does, so much so that I wonder if they are the same poster with 2 names.

Funny that you mentioned 2 different names.