Honored Contributor

Re: HARASSMENT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!

I don't understand...are some people saying this wasn't done by him?

It goes on everywhere....this isn't going to stop...it's only when women speak up everywhere will each episode come to light.

Usually it's young women.  In the two cases I mentioned they were young and one was amongst males who were much older and very, very powerful in the business world.

In the other case (as often happens) it was with a college student.  I absolutely know it happened because it happened to me as a child.

How could any women not think this stuff happens?  A women can't just walk down the street.  A woman must always be aware of her surroundings....always.  

I have a daughter who lives somewhere else and I'm constantly reminding her 'give me a smiley face when you get home' and bla bla....it never ends.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Are any so naive as to believe none of the accusers were willing participants who expected more than the got in return and see a chance at revenge and a bit of settlement cash as well?

@occasionalrain    @Laura14

???   

OMG .....  That's not the subject of this thread!   We aren't talking about anything CONSENSUAL ... didn't you even bother to read the first post?   

This is about (non-consensual) sexual harassment and the powerlessness victims often feel ....  I thought that was pretty clear.   Most people posting seem to have understood this.  

Please do not try to derail this thread by changing the circumstances and the subject.    You are welcome to start your own thread on the other subject  that you wish to discuss.   

Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it does, and it also goes both ways!  Woman are equally guilty of harassing men.

Do we see the underlying dynamic here?

Honored Contributor

I can only imagine that this is the tip of the iceberg.  Just think of all of the industries from 'A' to 'Z'.   (I just 'tuned-in' and haven't read all of the posters' thoughts, btw.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think some women that do not work do not understand that sexual harrassment exists and other women that work and have their heads in ground.  I remember when I worked at a law firm and this pig of a lawyer would be screaming filthy words over the phone.  I spoke up that this was digusting.  Then the same man one day puts his hands on my shoulders  and starts massaging my shoulders which I felt so uncomfortable with and he stopped but the look on the other 2 lawyers in existence was priceless.  Soon after he left the firm and went out on his own.  He was asked to leave.  I was fired soon after.  They don't want anyone rocking the boat.  I am so proud of all these women coming forward.  Many of these women were very young when this happened to them and your mind set is very different.  Hopefully, this will put an end to some of the harrassment to women in Hollywood.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Are any so naive as to believe none of the accusers were willing participants who expected more than the got in return and see a chance at revenge and a bit of settlement cash as well?

@occasionalrain    @Laura14

???   

OMG .....  That's not the subject of this thread!   We aren't talking about anything CONSENSUAL ... didn't you even bother to read the first post?   

This is about (non-consensual) sexual harassment and the powerlessness victims often feel ....  I thought that was pretty clear.   Most people posting seem to have understood this.  

Please do not try to derail this thread by changing the circumstances and the subject.   

Thank you.

@Tinkrbl44  Again, not speaking for @occasionalrain but I believe her point is that the harrasment claims you feel everyone should believe on the spot without question that "are everywhere" may not be everywhere and can absolutely be illegitimate by simply seizing upon overzealous reporting of the legitimate ones.

She is offering up an example to support that.  

Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

Yes it does, and it also goes both ways!  Woman are equally guilty of harassing men.

Do we see the underlying dynamic here?

Where did you find statistics that prove women harass men in equal numbers as men harassing women?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

I discussed how it happened to me when I was young and I did something about it immediately at the cost of my job.

All women need to step up and report this behavior when it happens -- not 20, 30 years later, but when it happens. If women play along with this kind of macho, male-entitled warped culture, or if they choose to make the "sacrifice" to make sure they get the job, then this disgusting criminal behavior will continue.

@SaRina

In a perfect world, "stepping up" will actually do some good, but it's still her word against his.  So, she gets fired.  Then what?   

OF COURSE it cost you the job!   That's the point .... more often than not, women aren't believed, so many think why even bother.    It's a valid point a lot of posters ignore.

Some women have small mouths to feed, and that guy is her boss.  Then what?  

I've never been so dependent on a job or a man to compromise my values, morals or dignity.    I've always had a way out & a nest egg or something to fall back on rather than work for, or live with, a pig.  And I raised children, sometimes alone.

You set yourself up to be a victim if everyone knows you are a single mom with little kids and "I NEED this job".   I'm not blaming the victim or giving the harrasser a pass, but women have some responsibility to telegraph that she will not play.    Predators go for weak prey.

Hollywood is different, not defending it but you can't get a job in the movie industry in  Iowa.   You either make it in Hollywood or you don't make it at all & these movie executives know it.

Did you ever see the movie Showgirls?   Made in the mid 1990s.   Showed the life of a dancer who want to make it as a top showgirl in Vegas.   It's worth watching.    And it's tame compared to what we are hearing in the news today.  Be sure you see the un-cut version.

Honored Contributor

I so want to mention some one in the news,but can not.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And @Tinkrbl44 I went back and re-read your first post since you asked me to.  You're question was "Why do some women believe it doesn't exist?"  

@occasionalrain and I are giving you some examples why.  Completely on topic.  You and I just disagree on the answer.