Respected Contributor

Re: HARASSMENT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!

I knew of several women that did things with men for the purpose of getting ahead in their career.   They intentionally permitted stuff to happen and allowed it to continue.  This was in the 1980's.  

Respected Contributor

As I said on another thread, it happened to me over 40 year ago...and the harasser was a woman boss.  I was only 19 at the time, and had no clue how to deal with it....I ignored her, and after a few months I quit the job...it was just too stressful for me.  

I think this garbage has been going on forever....people are just realizing now it's safer to talk about it.

And I can't think of a more heinous thing to do to another person than to lie about such a thing...any person who falsely accuses someone is evil.  

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Blame the victim mentality (especially if the victim is a woman) just never goes away. 

Look at some of the responses here. 

I'm not blaming the victim but I am questioning their motives for revealing events that happened years if not decades ago.  I guess any publicity is better than none for some of these women.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy LipsWomen should not have to laugh off unwelcome advances which ARE harrassment, and we should not have to leave our jobs and start over while the abuser stays where he is and advances.

As for Hollywood thinking they have to be the ones to change society -  I sort of believe they are the ones who can.  We as a culture give them so much access to the media that no one else has -  and many of the women earn more than enough money so thar they have access to good lawyers.  Together they know better how to use the media than most other abusers.

I don't want any womsan falsely charging abuse, but the number who do that is tiny compared to the abused who never say anything and allow generation after generation to continue to suffer damaging, demeaning behavior on the part of many abusers.

Honored Contributor

I think that women who don't support other women are just as bad as the men who do the harassing. Would you come forward if you felt you wouldn't be believed. ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

As I said on another thread, it happened to me over 40 year ago...and the harasser was a woman boss.  I was only 19 at the time, and had no clue how to deal with it....I ignored her, and after a few months I quit the job...it was just too stressful for me.  

I think this garbage has been going on forever....people are just realizing now it's safer to talk about it.

And I can't think of a more heinous thing to do to another person than to lie about such a thing...any person who falsely accuses someone is evil.  

I agree but evil never takes a holiday...more words to live by from my mom.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Blame the victim mentality (especially if the victim is a woman) just never goes away. 

Donna K's comment when scandal came out.

Enjoyed Cashmere perfume never feel the same.

Thank you for your post.🙋

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I have a problem with the current situation and with Cosby.  I'm sure that harassment was involved but why wait so long to speak up???  Cosby was decades ago.  Isn't there a statute of limitations to these accusations?  Obviously to me, these women were willing to sell themselves for a job and now they are complaining about it.  Sorry I'm not too sympathetic.

And by not speaking out they allowed it to continue to happen.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@castlenv wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I'm not blaming the victim but I am questioning their motives for revealing events that happened years if not decades ago.  I guess any publicity is better than none for some of these women.

There is such a simple answer for your question.

Years ago, it was dangerous and demeaning for a woman to report sexual harassment.  HER private life was put on trial. HER motives were questioned.  SHE often was the one to lose her job.

With numbers and age sometimes comes strength. When abused women see others reporting the crime, they feel safer coming forward themselves.